Do cockerels bite out of fear?

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
I have a 12 week old light Brahma who we call Monster. For obvious reasons. He’s a freaking monster. When we put him out in the run, separate coop, to be introduced to the flock two months ago he was as much a butt as he is now. But now he bites. Only he doesn’t attack me, run at me or kick, or anyone else. He bites if he hears his sister in distress or if it’s getting dark and he’s stressed.
I don’t let them, Monster and Roz, go into the big coop because the hens pick on them. So once I have everyone else in the big coop I let Monster and Roz out to run around in peace. Without being chased. He enjoys it. Until the sun has started to go down enough that it’s getting to be dusk.Then he starts making this noise over and over and looking to go into the big coop. So I pick him up and put him in his coop. That’s usually when I get bit. Is it because he’s stressed out? Should I put him to bed before the sun has set so much? Or is he just being aggressive? Either way I want to make sure I do something about it. So he can be handled properly.
8AB59711-F15C-499C-9033-9F090F292FA3.jpeg

this is the most recent picture I have of them. Monster is almost the same size as my hens and still gets chased by them.

Your hens know Monster is immature so are putting him in his place and teaching him manners. It's good for cockerels to get this treatment as they learn they have to charm the ladies, not just do as they please. Hens won't let a cockerel get away with stupid behaviour, whereas pullets who aren't laying yet aren't mature enough to know what to do with a cockerels hormone induced attentions.

If possible I would give him as much time with the older ladies as you can, provided you have the space to allow him to get away (and sulk :lol: ), and so the hens can't mercilessly hound him. I'd also let him decide where he wants to sleep. He will venture into the big coop last if that's where he wants to be, and that's what a good rooster should do. He should check, check and double check that all his girls are present and accounted for. But at the moment, as a lowly, young member of the flock, he will go in last to avoid as much conflict as possible. Hens will pick on the newbies but unless it gets really bad, the hens are only teaching the new birds their place in the hierarchy. It usually sounds much worse than it is.

Makes sense now, that he doesn’t like being picked up. Since that’s the only time he ever gets aggressive. I’ll have to figure out a different way to get him into the coop. Or should I keep picking him up so he gets used to it? I’m thinking for medication purposes and check overs. Not just putting him to bed.
I would let him sleep in the big coop, and that’s the plan when I upgrade in the spring, but right now I have two other cockerels that won’t let him roost. Let alone the hens. So I thought it was too stressful for him being in there. Maybe I’m overthink it. I might try and let him sleep in there tomorrow. Just to see how it goes.
I have one hen, the top in the hen order, who chases him out of the big coop whenever she can. She prefers Fuzzy, my EE roo the top dog, to be the only one in the coop. It took her months to get used to the silkies being in there. Even now she chases them out sometimes.
Monster has spots to sulk but he’s so big the hens find him. I found him hidden behind the feeder one day. Poor guy. I open the little coop door for him to go out and the hens bum rush it like they’ve never been in there before. 😑 Little buttheads. Gotta love em though.

Makes sense now, that he doesn’t like being picked up. Since that’s the only time he ever gets aggressive. I’ll have to figure out a different way to get him into the coop. Or should I keep picking him up so he gets used to it? I’m thinking for medication purposes and check overs. Not just putting him to bed.
I would let him sleep in the big coop, and that’s the plan when I upgrade in the spring, but right now I have two other cockerels that won’t let him roost. Let alone the hens. So I thought it was too stressful for him being in there. Maybe I’m overthink it. I might try and let him sleep in there tomorrow. Just to see how it goes.
I have one hen, the top in the hen order, who chases him out of the big coop whenever she can. She prefers Fuzzy, my EE roo the top dog, to be the only one in the coop. It took her months to get used to the silkies being in there. Even now she chases them out sometimes.
Monster has spots to sulk but he’s so big the hens find him. I found him hidden behind the feeder one day. Poor guy. I open the little coop door for him to go out and the hens bum rush it like they’ve never been in there before. 😑 Little buttheads. Gotta love em though.
Chicken politics sure are complex. :lol: All you can do is try and see what happens.

@JaeG Oh boy. Today I let Monster and Roz out of the baby coop early when the others were about to get ready for bed. Then I left them to figure it out.

I watched on the camera and the top hen blocked the door the whole time. She would not let them into the big coop at all. She wouldn’t even let them near the ramp. If they tried she chased them away back into the baby coop. I’ll keep trying but I have a feeling this stubborn lady will not let anyone in. At least until I get the 8x10 coop in the spring. Then there will be plenty of room for everyone.

The hormones are like a switch being flipped. One day the chick hops into your hand, the next day the cockerel nips at being picked up. I pick up my cockerels from behind for this reason. My hens always let my place my hand under their breasts to lift them. (Crevecoeurs are pretty docile.)

Also, Marge (my 1 year old hen) will literally stomp the new cockerel's head into the ground while the other hens ignore him. The Six Chicks are 3.5 months old and I haven't integrated them yet, but am starting to free range them all together.

It's sad when cuddly chicks turn into roos. But I still cuddle the roo as a way of teaching him to tolerate being handled. It's humiliating for him, though.

The hormones are like a switch being flipped. One day the chick hops into your hand, the next day the cockerel nips at being picked up. I pick up my cockerels from behind for this reason. My hens always let my place my hand under their breasts to lift them. (Crevecoeurs are pretty docile.)

Also, Marge (my 1 year old hen) will literally stomp the new cockerel's head into the ground while the other hens ignore him. The Six Chicks are 3.5 months old and I haven't integrated them yet, but am starting to free range them all together.

It's sad when cuddly chicks turn into roos. But I still cuddle the roo as a way of teaching him to tolerate being handled. It's humiliating for him, though.
This guy used to be such a baby. Like wouldn’t go to bed in his brooder without someone else there. It was just him and his sister so he peeped all night until either I checked on him or he finally fell asleep. Which him sleeping didn’t last too long. I felt so bad for him but I think that was my motherly instincts.

Then he did grow up and hates being touched. My husband wanted him so he could have cuddly chickens. Monster tolerates my husband holding him up but that’s about it. The actual picking Monster up is him screaming his head off. But I do think it’s important to hold them for the reasons you say, and others. But if they can’t tolerate being held then I can’t check them over for sickness. He was just a weird one. Out of the four cockerels I have he’s the weirdest.

This guy used to be such a baby. Like wouldn’t go to bed in his brooder without someone else there. It was just him and his sister so he peeped all night until either I checked on him or he finally fell asleep. Which him sleeping didn’t last too long. I felt so bad for him but I think that was my motherly instincts.

Then he did grow up and hates being touched. My husband wanted him so he could have cuddly chickens. Monster tolerates my husband holding him up but that’s about it. The actual picking Monster up is him screaming his head off. But I do think it’s important to hold them for the reasons you say, and others. But if they can’t tolerate being held then I can’t check them over for sickness. He was just a weird one. Out of the four cockerels I have he’s the weirdest.
I think we want to blame ourselves sometimes for genetics. 99.9% of roos are not sweet, based on my unscientific survey. 😅

I am making a decision about which of two to keep, and I'm going with size and conformation. Neither one bites if I pick them up from behind and tousle their crests. The sweet one has a neck like an owl and will turn his head around. I don't give him the chance to nip.

I'll keep breeding until I get the roo I want. These hatchlings' father did run at my husband and was rehomed immediately. And he was also the sweet one of 3. He was good to the hens, but didn't tolerate any humans but me.

I need a roo for breeding. With the predator pressure here, they only free range while I'm outside with them.

Good luck on yours being a keeper.

Oh, I hope he ends up being sweet! We’ve had some very sweet ones, unlike the ones I’ve had lately! I had one buff orpington who loved to be cuddled and didn’t fight with any of the bantam roosters who were sweet too. The last three I’ve had have been MEAN! The only one left at the moment might end up heading to free range at my brother’s farm if he keeps biting and scratching me. They don’t usually last long out there, but they sure have fun!

Back
Top Bottom