Do Cockerels Squat?

boch boch

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2017
Central Colorado (8300 ft)
Howdy!
I'm a first time (adult) chicken owner and I have 6 chickens that are 19 weeks old. I am pretty sure I have at least 1 cockerel (red comb and large red wattles early on) and another that keeps me guessing but I'm pretty sure (even though I purchased them as sexed pullets, I must be pretty good at picking the only cockerels out of the bin) its my second cockerel. (both of these are silver laced wyandottes) There has been no confirmed crowing from anyone yet.

I had read that HENS squat when they are getting close to laying age but the one that I have been pretty sure is a cockerel, just squatted for me. ???:hmm

So my questions:
1. Do cockerels squat too?

2. How long after they (hens) start squatting should I look to find an egg? 1 week, 1 month, any day?

3. Do all hens squat for you or just some?

Thank you kindly! Have a great day!

Sara

Last edited:
IMG_3923.JPG
IMG_3925.JPG
IMG_3926.JPG
The squatter (Ferocious Sparkles is his/her name, I have a 5 yr old who did the naming- can you tell?) is the darkest one in the middle of the 3 (in the single picture, the one looking at me). His/Her comb was red early on, wattles came in big and red.

The one on the left is my second guess for cockerel, her/his comb have been red, and slightly smaller than the one in the middle.

The one on the right (lightest) has a much smaller comb and wattles, and have always been pink/peachy. She is my guess for a hen.

They were all 3 hatched on the same day or within a day of each other.

Back
Top Bottom