Do Cohins usually lay more than two eggs per year?

I have both bantam and LF Cochins. I agree that my bantams are laying better then the LFs right now, but the weather has also been crazy here so I cant really blame them. Also they are still young at only 8 - 12 months old. We have silver laced, buff, black and blue in bantams and buff, blue and black in the LFs. I just love them and would never ever think of getting rid of any of them! I hope to use them to hatch our call duck eggs in the spring and summer. :)

my two white Cochins give me about 4 - 6 a week.
I agree, it is so hard to get them out of your heart! This is my first pair of Cochins after i fell in love with them at a show last year. My April hatched babies, 1 went broody this fall........
he.gif
she sat for over 6 weeks on me. I didnt want babies, so i tried so hard to break her. They are just so fluffy and friendly and CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! makes you just want to snuggle with them.

Quote:
Congrats! The number of eggs you get is dependent on that line of birds so ask the guy how his lay. The breeder I found locally gave me the same response you are getting via PM - that they were terrible layers, wouldn't start laying until they were a year old and she didn't know why she kept them. I found a line of the same color that does lay well on BYC and they are just wonderful birds.

I also love them for eye candy and the waddle and they've turned out to be remarkably heat and water tolerant despite the large amounts of fluff. There is a large fowl cochin here, we'd love to see pictures when you finally get some hatched out.

Last edited:
Before our cochin went broody she was laying at least every other day :) but now that she's discovered her love for baby's i don't think well see another egg for a long while
D.gif

I never seem to research quite enough ... lol... I got some blue cochin bantams and some black frizzle bantams....they have not started laying yet....but I so want some LF cochins...something about how they look...so cuddly! Here are some of mine...

Back
Top Bottom