Do Cohins usually lay more than two eggs per year?

Chubby Chicken

Songster
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Bonney Lake, Washington
I posted that I am looking for Cochin hatching eggs. I received an email from a lady near me, saying her cochins only lay 4-5 in 12 months from 2 hens. Is this normal Cohin for standard Cochins?

I read on the Meyers Hatchery site, they are poor layers, laying 2-3 per week, maybe that was a typo.

Last edited:
Nope, they are not great layers - mostly because they spend most of their time being broody. (wanting to hatch eggs and raise babies)

Last edited:
Pretty darn sure people get more than two a year! I think it was a typo. The least production I've known is in breeds like Malgache who lay about 40 a year.

Cochins will lay the normal amount most other breeds lay, but yes, they do go broody a lot.

Amost no chicken lays 2 eggs per year! It's true, cochins are not the best egg layers ever- I would estimate 4 eggs per week on average.

My girls are averaging about 2 or 3 a week right now. I'm sure it won't pick up as the days get longer due to them becoming the little broody monsters that they are.

Mine lay 3-4 eggs a week, with longggg breaks in between for molting, bloodiness, or just plain laziness! They are so docile and beautiful though, I will always keep some. Mine are a little over a year, btw.

Back
Top Bottom