Do Cohins usually lay more than two eggs per year?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chubby Chicken, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Chubby Chicken

Chubby Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I posted that I am looking for Cochin hatching eggs. I received an email from a lady near me, saying her cochins only lay 4-5 in 12 months from 2 hens. Is this normal Cohin for standard Cochins?

I read on the Meyers Hatchery site, they are poor layers, laying 2-3 per week, maybe that was a typo.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nope, they are not great layers - mostly because they spend most of their time being broody. (wanting to hatch eggs and raise babies)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. Chubby Chicken

Do you get more than two eggs a year?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Pretty darn sure people get more than two a year! I think it was a typo. The least production I've known is in breeds like Malgache who lay about 40 a year.

Cochins will lay the normal amount most other breeds lay, but yes, they do go broody a lot.

5. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

I have 4 bantam Cochins and they seem to lay a couple times a week, though never at the same time.

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Amost no chicken lays 2 eggs per year! It's true, cochins are not the best egg layers ever- I would estimate 4 eggs per week on average.

7. MrsMoonCat

MrsMoonCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Madera, CA
    My girls are averaging about 2 or 3 a week right now. I'm sure it won't pick up as the days get longer due to them becoming the little broody monsters that they are.

8. Chubby Chicken

Another thread suggested that this person's Cochins are under nourished. She was serious. I got two emails warning me of the troubles that are LF Cochins.

9. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Mine lay 3-4 eggs a week, with longggg breaks in between for molting, bloodiness, or just plain laziness! They are so docile and beautiful though, I will always keep some. Mine are a little over a year, btw.

10. Chubby Chicken

I am not worried about it. I don't NEED them for eggs, I just can't get them out of my heart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by