Do Corgi's get along with chickens?

I know I'm jumping in way late on this but about 14 months ago my newly acquired boyfriend brought 2 roosters and 2 bum hens over to my house. My 2 corgis eventually devoured the hens. One would always go crazy about songbirds but he was neurotic anyways. No hard feelings towards the dogs. They never tried killing another chicken when I moved them to my boyfriend's farm. Sadly, I lost them both this past year. I have 2 new corgis (rescues) and they don't appear to be a risk to chickens.

Since this has been pushed back to the top I will chime in. I believe it is the individual dog that matters. Our dog killed two young chickens (very sneakily I might add) but once they were large he is now scared of them even though they run if he chases. I think there are a lot of variables but I wouldnt depend on a corgi as a gaurdian dog. Also they arent large enough to take on an adult coon so his guard skills wouldn't be much help anyway!

Just this morning I was looking out my kitchen window laughing at one of my Corgi's who was in the middle of the chicken pen (we left the door open) eating the chicken feed with all the hens and rooster just like she was one of them. Neither seemed to care except now we know how she is gaining the extra pounds.

Last week the other Corgi was laying on her back in the backyard. (This is her FAVORITE way to spend the afternoon!) Two of the hens walked right up to her and picked at her belly and paw. She never moved except turning her head to give them a look like, "what is wrong with you"?

Did I tell you I love my Corgis?

We did install the electric fence and our lab was zinged twice and now stays back from the pen and the hens at all times. I highly recommend it for those with more than curious dogs.

I agree with the previous poster. It all depends on the dog and don't trust any of them until you know for sure!

I didn't mean for my story to relay that corgis are bad around chickens. My 2 that devoured the hens....that was their first experience with live poultry and the hens would sleep against their fence so it was just too tempting. I was amazed at how much of the carcass they consumed. Once they got to be around a flock a stern no is all it took. But of course they were always supervised. If unsupervised I could see these 2 doing chase and capture if the birds got excited.

The most I can rely on mine to be is a vocal alarm. They have their own enclosure so interaction will be minimal (I'm back at my own homestead and I don't have my own chicken set up yet). I love my corgis and adore the breed. My 2 'former chicken eaters' (I call them that with humor) both passed away this past year and I miss them dearly. The 2 rescues that I ended up with have had chicken exposure and have so far been trustworthy and again they are also always under supervision when outside their enclosure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom