Do Corgi's get along with chickens?

Mollysgirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 29, 2012
We just completed our coop and have 2 chicks that are approximately 3mths old. We have two corgi's that are great with the cat (well, actually they act like he doesn't exist). They seem very curious about them. Anyone have any experience?

Our chocolate lab on the other hand is beyond obsessed with them and she keeps trying to get into the coop and there isn't a doubt in my mind she would hurt them. Who said labs are family dogs???

My corgi is fine with them. We adopted her last spring as a 2 year old. She does like to try and chase them away from their feed but I raised them with dogs and they have no fear-- therefore they don't run. Once she realizes they STILL won't fall for it she just tries to stick her tongue into their feed trough through the fence.
tongue.png

The coop is inside of our large fenced in backyard. So yesterday we let the chicks out within their pen. Then we let the dogs out one at a time. One corgi was curious but that was it. The other corgi had no interest whatsoever. I just love my corgis!!!!

But the lab....omgosh! She was determined to get into the pen. She was clawing, barking and refusing to give up. This is the dog who is 10 years old, lays around all the time, obedient and never barks. We have got a problem here since my dogs stay outside during the day.

Help!!

I can't speak for the corgi's but I have a black lab who is about 5 years old and he doesn't mess with the chickens at all, UNLESS I have another dog around that gets after the chickens. He will chase them so he doesn't feel left out. He'll quit if I yell at him. The other dog has to be a familiar dog living here, a stray is never welcome.

You said he's obiedient and 10 years old? I have a feeling if he realizes you are totally upset with him he'll leave ur chickens alone............UNLESS you hunt with him. Labs are bird dogs and if you hunt him you could ruin him by scolding him for the chickens.

Send me a message if you want to know how I broke mine from chasing chickens.

We have 4 corgis that are in their fenced yard separated from the chicken pen by 30'. The dogs don't pay any attention to the chickens until I go to feed & clean up. Then all 4 stand at the fence and watch, they (dogs) will bark a little if the chickens squack too much. I have taken the dogs one at a time , on a leash, into the chicken pen and after a couple brave chickens tried to peck at a dog, the dogs aren't much interested in visiting. Never have allowed them to be together in a free range for all situation.

It happened. The lab killed the two chicks. My husband turned around for two seconds and he broke thru the fence. Meanwhile the Corgi was running around "alarming" everyone that it was happening. My husband could not get to them in time. I thought he was going to kill the lab . Did I mention he loves this lab more than he loves me??? The lab is in the basement in the kennel and my girls are crushed beyond crushed.

I have given my husband such a hard time because he has built this thing so sturdy with an overkill of wood and fencing. Will an electric fence work?

Last edited:
It happened. The lab killed the two chicks. My husband turned around for two seconds and he broke thru the fence. Meanwhile the Corgi was running around "alarming" everyone that it was happening. My husband could not get to them in time. I thought he was going to kill the lab . Did I mention he loves this lab more than he loves me??? The lab is in the basement in the kennel and my girls are crushed beyond crushed.

I have given my husband such a hard time because he has built this thing so sturdy with an overkill of wood and fencing. Will an electric fence work?
Very sorry for your rotten experience. Yes, hot wire around the coop/run will work. It may work wonders. I had a dog that was way to interested in the chickens, stuck his nose on that hot wire just once, just once. Now he will not go near the area at all. He is convinced a horrible, invisible, serious pain inflicting, dog nose eating monster lives there.

And, just in case, if you used chicken wire on the coop the first time, don't use it again! Use welded wire/hardware cloth. Just in case. Chicken wire keeps chickens in, keeps nothing out. If it were me, with your lab being as obsessed as he is, and the dogs sharing the yard with the chicken coop, I'd probably put the hot wire, several strands on it's own fence of T posts and fence off the portion of the yard the coop is in. That will keep the dogs from even getting close. Easy and cheap enough to do. Good luck, hope you can work things out.

That sucks. A hot wire works wonders for discouraging interest in chickens. the seven dogs here, including a lab and a pointer can testify to that

lisa

Back
Top Bottom