Do coturnix quail males do well in same-sex pairs when kept as pets?

raleighblues

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2021
Hi all,

Been trying to think of ways to market male coturnix quail as pets. I’ve heard they don’t do well in bachelor flocks, but what about male/male pairs?

As long as the perspective pet owner doesn’t have any hens, would that be okay, or would it be a disaster where they fight or mate each other to death?

Any feedback welcomed!

If there are females in range they might murder each other. I had 8 True Blues I separated from the main flock of 22 birds overnight, just so I could get breeding cages together. The next morning, 3 were scalped, and another bloody. By far my most aggressive group

My jumbos, on the other hand, were kept in an all male group for a month, with just some head pecking and feather loss. All of my Celadons are assholes.

I have 5 male button quail, 3 are brothers and the other 2 rescues that I keep separate. I had tried introducing my oldest male with the triplets, and all was well... until 3 days later they were trying to mate with one another.😑

So yeah... would kinda depend on the bird. I now keep the brothers together and the other 2 seperated but in the same room/withing sight of one another. It gets kinda loud at times, especially at 2am when I'm trying to sleep, but otherwise they all seem happy and healthy. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom