Do different horse breeds have different temperments?

I had a friend I rode with that owned one, his name was Joe. She hated him, Joe did a lot of mini rearing and I think he wound up at a sale. A lot of my friends back then used to pick up horses at the New Holland Sale and try to rehabilitate them. A lot of times it did not work out how they had hoped. Joe was papered but he may have come from there.

Quote:
I'm training a Fox Trotter right now. He's a nice horse, very atheletic. His gaits are differant, but right now he's really inconsistant. He's only five years old and hasn't had much arena work done, so I think he'll settle into one of his gaits soon... He's a beautiful palamino gelding.

I've worked with many different horse breeds, and owned a bunch of different ones as well. There are some general tendancies your hear about the different breed, but you need to evaluate each horse on an individual basis. Ride and try and watch as many as you can to get an idea of what interests you.

Don't go and buy color. Just because the horse is the color you want doesn't mean he will be the right horse for you. I have worked with a horse or two that were bought by their owners because they were so beautiful. Let me tell you, even the most beautiful horse becomes ugly if they are ill-mannered, dangerous, and sullen!

I have worked with several MFT, to answer someone's question earlier. They are generally nice and bidable, at least the ones I rode.

I owned a BLM mustang and he was certainly a challenge, but worth it in the end. He went to become a teenager's trail mount.

I have worked with a Friesian stallion, he was sweet.

A lot of people like the drafts, I owned a Belgian who ran off with me and bucked me too many times for my liking. She did it when she felt like it, she was inconsistant. I think it was in part due to the fact that she needed a job to do, I didn't ride her on a regular basis. She went on to be a vaulting horse.

I have owned an arab, and worked with another. Both were good horses, one was a kids camp horse, anyone could ride him, and the other was a horse that really wanted to please.

Personally, I like a bit of spice in my ride, I have a very spirited paso, and a NSH and a saddlebred. I love to RACK!

If you like the paints, the breed paint isn't the only breed you can find color on. I owned a spotted saddle horse who was well gaited and a pleasure to ride.

Back
Top Bottom