1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do dogs hurt chicks-- or do CATS hurt chicks???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SuperCoco, Mar 8, 2009.

1. SuperCoco

SuperCoco Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    I am wondering if a dog or a cat hurt chicks. I have a black lab and a tiger looking cat. I don't know if they will hurt my 21 chicks. Please help.

2. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    You will need to make sure to keep you chicks protected because both or your pets can/will/may think 'chicken nugget'.

Until you know for sure, I would not leave them unsupervised around your chicks.

3. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    If your cat likes to eat songbirds, chances are good it will like to eat your chicks.

4. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    My cat ignores the chickens but NEVER leave the dog with them!

5. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    Once the chicks are bigger they should be able to hold their own agtainst the cats, but dogs can be deadly. Youtube has a video of the dog whisperer working with a dog to train it to stay away from chickens. Looks pretty effective. Good Luck!

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yes and yes both can and will kill the chicks depending on their personality and desire.

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:my cats can kill full grown squirrels with out batting an eye, so a chick is certailnly a possibility. I would think that my cat can kill a full grown chicken too if given the chance, or at least a bantam.

8. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    Ahappychick,
    Our cat (15 pounder) tried to chase one of my BR roo's last fall and when the Roo squawked and held his ground the cat stopped and looked and then walked away. Now they ignore the chickens totally. I think that an adult chicken will give to much fight most times for a domestic free range cat to bother.

9. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    Quote:it depends on the animal.
    but usually theyre un predictable
    so use caution,

10. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Yes and yes. Don't take any chances. My dogs ignored my chicks, but the cat practically drooled when she saw them. You just never know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by