Do domestic cats kill chickens?

I've heard a lot of cats killing chickens..even full grown ones. My maine coon is afraid of mine, because her trying to stalk one of my hens ended in a rooster chasing her away. She's killed full grown rabbits, squirrels, snakes and a lot of birds.
I'm not too worried about her personally going after a full grown chicken, but I can easily see a feral cat try its luck at it.

We've kept cats and chickens together for several years and never had a problem, even though we have a few bantams free ranging with the others and our cats LOVE to snatch wild birds off of the hanging feeders.

My 4 fully grown chickens free range in a small garden that has regular cat visits and none have attempted to attack them, I even have one bantam! but she is the meanest lol! one of the cats is my own, 2 belong to neighbours and the other two that I see appear to be feral, any cat that really put it's mind to it has the potential to kill a chicken no problem but chickens are formidable prey to a cat and as others have said most will not risk getting hurt and then unable to hunt for a meal so will go for smaller easier prey.

Dear OP,

If you would like a suggestion on how to stop your predator I will tell you what I do that seems to work quite well. My main predator is raccoons and opossums which it sounds like you might have one as well. I bought a live trap shown in the link below from Tractor Supply.

When I have an active predator I lock my chickens up at night as most predators are typically active during that time. I then set the live trap up just outside the chicken run with some chicken feed in a small dish as bait. Raccoons and several other predators do like chicken feed especially if it's easily accessible. When I wake up in the morning my predator is usually in the trap waiting for me. (you can rotate the bait as necessary to better attract your particular predator)

In fact, as long as I don't have my chickens free ranging I will keep the trap set up all summer long. Most predators will usually go for the free chicken feed snack I left out for them before they go after my chickens. I lost 3 chickens last summer before I started using this tactic. Since then I haven't lost a single one. It's obviously not completely predator proof, but it works pretty well. Also this does not work on hawks or other avian predators.

I accidentally caught one of my ducks once when they strangely left the pond and came to visit the chickens. The live trap doesn't hurt them unless you leave them in it for a long time without food or water. So be sure to check it every day to make sure you didn't accidentally catch one of your pets or the neighbors. LOL

The only problem left is what to do with the predator once you catch him. I have no problem here as I find they make great fertilizer for the garden. Just be careful when disposing of them, however you do it. I recommend using a .22 caliber bullet right to the brain. Also, be sure to wear heavy gloves and heavy jeans if you decide to move the cage at all. They will reach through the cage bars and leave some nasty scratches.

Also, just because you caught something in the trap it doesn't mean they are your predator. It just means they were the first one to your bait. So I would leave it up for several weeks at least to be sure you got the one or ones that is/are eating your chickens. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you the best of luck!!!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/catch-and-release-live-animal-trap-42-in-x-15-in-x-15-in

Last edited:
We have a few feral cats and they have absolutely taken down my neighbors free ranging group. Cats can and do hunt birds so I wouldn't put it past them.

Back
Top Bottom