Do domestic dogs run in packs?

I've seen very friendly dogs get mean and nasty once they're in a pack. There's a place near me where the dogs all get together in a pack during the day when their owners aren't home and cause trouble, and then go back to each of their own homes at night.

Last edited:
Quote:
You hit it right on the nail. That is why I keep mine home on our property. I have seen them go in pack mood. It is ugly. And someone or someone's animals could get seriously hurt or worse.

Last edited:
Many people are loosing their homes and dumping their dogs thinking someone will take them in. Not the case many many times.
and that dog now has to live off the streets or where it was dumped. Yes, they pack up and yes unfortunately best thing to do is shoot them. When they are rewarded by your garbage can, or cat food, or a carcuss or they get a chickens they will come back to where they succeeded. Keeping tempations away or hard to get to safely can help. but, if they are close up and are a danger to you or your livestock its best to get out the rifle. They at this point are NO LONGER PETS.
I am not one who says to shoot very often. But, pets that pack up to survive can be dangerous as they do not fear humans. And have most likely have been treated badly by some.

I have three dogs who are sweet on their own. However, I have seen them suddenly turn into a pack and go after a cat that runs. They killed one of my old cats --I don't know who was responsible, but I suspect none of them would have done it on their own--one dog went after the cat and the others followed. I have to be careful they aren't all left alone in the house with a passive cat that will run. It's the cats running that triggers the behavior. The chickens seem safe since they don't run away like the cats do and actually the dogs are afraid of the chickens. Serves them right.
I would call animal control and yes it's terribly sad that people are dumping dogs and cats everywhere because they are losing their homes and can't feed their families. The pounds are just euthenizing animals upon arrival there are so man.
SPAY AND NEUTER

People dumping there dogs is how I got my 4. Rescue dogs. People that dump their dogs should be put in jail. And what is really bad the county we live in has no animal control. One of the largest counties in Ga but no help.
somad.gif

I agree. But they do nothing here about it. Dogs run all over here. It is terrible and disgusting. The 4 I rescued off the streets all have their shots, nuetered, and on heartworm. It broke my heart to find them. The oldest one is 8 yrs old.I found him at the end of my driveway skin and bones. 2 of them are his sons. They are 4 yrs old. I found them in the woods. The other one is 3 years old. My son found him at the dump he did not even have his puppy teeth yet.
hit.gif
I cried over all of them. But now they are all happy and spoiled. Fantastic with my chickens, goats, and guinea's.

dogs usually exhibit traits they inherited from wolves (like being pack animals).
It shouldn't be a surprise. Chickens retain most of the instincts they inherited from jungle fowl. i.e. roosting, scratching for food, the egg song, wariness of motion from above, etc..
Growing up, my parents had a farm but I lived in the city and we had huge packs of dogs that would run the streets at night, sleeping in parks, cemetaries and drain pipes. I was driving down a city street about 3AM and about 20 dogs attacked my car. I'm glad I wasn't walking.
As far as I know packs of feral dogs are still a big problem in some cities. Twice in the 80's a dog pack got into the St. Louis zoo and killed antelope. Once they wiped out the whole herd of Springbok.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
If we see them again, we’ll be forced to shoot to kill.

In most places it's not legal to shoot merely because they are on your property.

They have to be in the ACT of harassing or killing livestock, or damaging property.

"Running through the field" doesn't fit that definition

Also, being in a group doesn't necessarily make them dangerous
It could have been one female in heat and a group of males with nothing else on their mnds​

Back
Top Bottom