Do Drakes make Hens calmer/nicer?

As ducklings. They will grow up with the mille fleur so I'm hoping they will like her since they will grow up with her. But I am wondering will they be nicer to her if the is a drake.

Would you be able to keep the ducks apart from her until they get older? I would be afraid that the chicken is the queen of the coop right now and any new comers, she's liable to attempt the pecking order and hurt them.

If you get a drake, chances are the ducks will not bother the chicken at all and just hang with there own kind, but be scared of the chicken for some time.. you may still have the pecking probably until she gets used to them...

I have my bantams with my ducks and when the ducks had babies, the bantam would toss the babies up in the air trying to kill them, I had to keep the youngsters separate until the ducks could hold there own ground.. Once the babies got older and bigger, the issues went away. No more attacks.

That's the only concern I can see is your bantam being the queen and no one is welcomed. Or she could be thrilled to have the company..

Is your bantam sweet? If they have a nice friendly calm attitude then you may be ok. But if you can't go up to her and touch her because they act like your gonna kill them then I would be on a watch...

Are we talking just one chicken with the two ducks??

I would suggest getting more bantams to be company for her. The ducks will b e larger than her, and drakes can be particularly aggressive.

Would you be able to keep the ducks apart from her until they get older? I would be afraid that the chicken is the queen of the coop right now and any new comers, she's liable to attempt the pecking order and hurt them.

If you get a drake, chances are the ducks will not bother the chicken at all and just hang with there own kind, but be scared of the chicken for some time.. you may still have the pecking probably until she gets used to them...

I have my bantams with my ducks and when the ducks had babies, the bantam would toss the babies up in the air trying to kill them, I had to keep the youngsters separate until the ducks could hold there own ground.. Once the babies got older and bigger, the issues went away. No more attacks.

That's the only concern I can see is your bantam being the queen and no one is welcomed. Or she could be thrilled to have the company..

Is your bantam sweet? If they have a nice friendly calm attitude then you may be ok. But if you can't go up to her and touch her because they act like your gonna kill them then I would be on a watch...

Are we talking just one chicken with the two ducks??
Yes the chicken is really nice and I doubt she would hurt the ducks. She would probably be afraid of them at first

IMO as someone who owns many drakes of all kinds(bantam, Large etc) no they will not make anyone be anything, if anything they can probably tick the females off more by their presence lol

Chickens and ducks are an interesting combo, i know people mix them, i really don't i have some who free range(chickens) so they encounter my ducks and get into their 'area' but i generally am not fond of the mix, chickens have way different requirements, like dry ground lol and they also don't fight the same.. chickens peck which worries me about my ducks eyes...

Mine will tolerate each other begrudgingly but no one is particularly fond of each other...

IMO as someone who owns many drakes of all kinds(bantam, Large etc) no they will not make anyone be anything, if anything they can probably tick the females off more by their presence lol

Chickens and ducks are an interesting combo, i know people mix them, i really don't i have some who free range(chickens) so they encounter my ducks and get into their 'area' but i generally am not fond of the mix, chickens have way different requirements, like dry ground lol and they also don't fight the same.. chickens peck which worries me about my ducks eyes...

Mine will tolerate each other begrudgingly but no one is particularly fond of each other...
Ok thanks for the note!

Back
Top Bottom