Do duck eggs taste like chicken eggs?

COMPLETELY disagree. They are great for baking *and* frying. The trick with frying: Lower heat - they are rich and have less moisture than a chicken egg - and use something nice and rich such as a little butter or other fat. We have an electric stove, so if I'm cooking it in a pan, I use 4-5 on the stove, let the bottom cook up a little, then put a lid over it and let it steam, often turning the heat off about halfway through. It creates a rich, gooey, delicious egg that is delightful on a piece of toast, accessorized as you wish.

I also take them to work with me and "fry" them in the microwave. I rub a little butter in a bowl, add salt and pepper, crack in the egg, and add a little salt and pepper on the top. Depending on your microwave and how done you want the egg, 50 seconds to 1:20 and you're all set. Add buttered toast and/or other accessories to taste.

For baking, I did my first attempt with them last weekend, used the same number of duck eggs as chicken eggs in the recipe, and ended up with some incredibly rich, delicious pumpkin bread. Yum!

I have both ducks and chickens. Duck eggs all the way in baked goods. For eating. Like somebody else here, I don't use all the yolks. They are too rich for my liking. My husband doesn't notice much of a difference.

I made a frittata for dinner last night (hey, we have 6 dozen eggs sitting around after giving a few dozen away!). I used duck eggs and one chicken egg (because that was what was in the container of eggs I was using up).
I just had a left over piece for breakfast.

Baked - I'm good with duck eggs.
Eating it as just an egg, I prefer chicken if it is just one egg. Multiples, I just skip a few yolks and all is good.

I hate chicken eggs now since my girls started to lay ,duck eggs have a bigger yolk n that's the best part of the egg, I fry them, scramble ,done omlets for a friend who would not try a duck egg big success ? N last week I hard boiled and wow the amount of egg on my toast was amazing , my son won't eat chicken eggs but will if it's a duck egg?
They do have a stronger flavour than a chicken egg but I love em ,
1f600.png
1f60d.png

and today had an argument on Facebook about eating duck eggs n this snotty woman said only use in baking are you mad woman as long as the eggs are cooked long enough they are mighty fine to eat some people do wind me up when it comes to duck eggs , bet they have Neva tried on in their sad little lives lol

I have chicken, duck AND turkey eggs. I think they are all different. No one in our home really wants a duck egg solo in a pan, we always end up mixing them with the other eggs in a scramble or in a casserole. I have used them for baking. They are great for that.

I disagree VERY strongly about duck eggs being "horrible for frying"... they are WONDERFUL for frying! As long as my Muscovies are laying ( currently 6 to 9 eggs every day) I will not touch a chicken egg. Duck eggs have a richer flavor than chicken eggs. GREAT hard boiled, great for baking, make terriffic quiche and omelets, and absolutely delicious as fried egg sandwiches!! I love duck eggs, and I have always disliked chicken eggs. Now, my local Krogers sometimes has a coupon for free eggs ( chicken), so we keep the carton and feed the chicken eggs to the dog.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom