Do ducks do best with a drake?

Buying them a drake/or hens, or a hire a drake for a short time to fertelize eggs is different then "hire" a drake/hen for once to "help" them with their urges. That creeps me out a bit haha.
Plus; it does not work. They are not humans that do the 365 days a year; just like cats in heat they have periods... and a drake does not stop with being in that period once relieved.. you can hire yourself ladie's for him until your broke :idunno:p
Maybe my ducks are different, but they are active throughout the whole year.
They have an orgy every time i provide them with fresh, clean water and during the winter, when i offer them warm water the drakes usually end up completely exhausted… 🤯

Not all animals are the same for sure. Chimpanzees can actually wánt a baby. But for ducks and rats, two social group animals I have experience with; the thing that makes them the most depressed are lack of other animals to socialize with. Not so much the urges for procreating. Unless you would keep them seperated from the other gender their whole life but can communicate/see the other gender; but not reach it. That's bound to give some frustration during certain periods (rats 365 days a year).

I think it is often the owner speaking. It tells you more about what they could not miss in life :oops: It's not a duck-only topic for that matter. Met women that wanted children really much; so would find it sad for her cat if she would never be a mom...and men who don't want their cat/dog neutered "out of principals".. don't get me started... :p
And ducks clearly have not our understanding of moral: I have seen Katharina Duck being mated by all of her three sons. 🤣

They have an orgy every time i provide them with fresh, clean water and during the winter, when i offer them warm water the drakes usually end up completely exhausted… 🤯
Strange? How old are the Drakes and Hens? All Mallard derived Ducks or Drakes eclipse and molt. Generally all breeding behaviour stops then.

Mine are the same!

Strange? How old are the Drakes and Hens? All Mallard derived Ducks or Drakes eclipse and molt. Generally all breeding behaviour stops then.
My ducks seem to be in a permanent molt: One feather here another one there and there isn't really any eclipse plumage. - Though »Erpelchen« has shed all his drake-feathers, but the "corkscrew" is still very active. And the young drakes (those from the neighbor) are looking very interested in all that action.

My ducks seem to be in a permanent molt: One feather here another one there and there isn't really any eclipse plumage. - Though »Erpelchen« has shed all his drake-feathers, but the "corkscrew" is still very active. And the young drakes (those from the neighbor) are looking very interested in all that action.
Eclipse happens after the bird has had a breeding season. Young Drakes won't till after a season either.

Back
Top Bottom