Do ducks eat live fish?

They LOVE them! I get mine feeder fish.
If they've never had them, it's really cute to watch them when you give them to them the first time. They'll be afraid of them for a minute.
big_smile.png

Mine LOVE them too! I was LMAO the other day because we got two new mallards and I put a few feeder fish in their pool (I buy a bunch, put them in the stock tank and then scoop them out as needed). She found them right away and went to town. He..........well he was having issues. Instead of grabbing the fish he would grab her foot and would pull up on it thinking he had a fish. She was not amused. LOL I was though.
lol.png

I just got my ducks feeder fish for the first time last night. At first they would try to slowly move towards them, but of course the fish swam away. They were not used to treats that could get away! They did pick it up pretty fast though, and all 15 fishies were gone in about 5 minutes.

Question: where have you guys found the cheapest feeder fish? I know they're $.28 each at Wal-mart and $.17 each at Petco. Anyone found better prices?

i am so excited they love fish. I wanted to give them a treat and exercise! Now I have to find a place in town that has them. Our Walmart does not sell fish anymore and no petstore. Maybe a gas station that sells minnows for fishing? I love to watch my ducks get excited over treats.
smile.png

Quote:
No, that sounds about right. Maybe a bait store would be cheaper if you have one close to you?

They love fish! I would get minnows/shiners from a local bait store. I never feed them 'feeder' fish from pet stores as they are often sickly and unhealthy. Minnows/shiners would be ducks natural food in the wild/pond setting.

Back
Top Bottom