Do ducks eat live fish?

This may sound like a daft question but i cant find the answer on google, i have a packet of smoked salmon that has been open a few days now and was wondering if ducks can eat it as i dont really fancy it lol thanks in advance.

This may sound like a daft question but i cant find the answer on google, i have a packet of smoked salmon that has been open a few days now and was wondering if ducks can eat it as i dont really fancy it lol thanks in advance.

You could try them, be sure to wash off the extra sodium. I know they eat live fish because I have seen where folks buy feeder fish for their ducks.

the only thing you want to be careful of is making sure there isn't any mold on anything you feed to any poultry.

Last edited:
In the uk it's hard to get fish my friend works at pets at home n she won't sell me any fish cause she knows I want to feed them my ducks so the have never had fish :(

In the uk it's hard to get fish my friend works at pets at home n she won't sell me any fish cause she knows I want to feed them my ducks so the have never had fish
sad.png

I live right above a river and most of mine haven't had fish I could catch minnows out of the river and probably small trout but I've only done it a few times.

My Hubby's folks raised ducks and said they will eat small fish like minnows and small frogs or toads if they can get them. It may depend on the duck breed too...I think some are more active foragers than others. I have not personally gotten any minnows for our ducks to see if they would though
hu.gif

My Hubby's folks raised ducks and said they will eat small fish like minnows and small frogs or toads if they can get them. It may depend on the duck breed too...I think some are more active foragers than others. I have not personally gotten any minnows for our ducks to see if they would though
hu.gif

I've seen my Muscovy ducks eat frogs and snakes
sickbyc.gif
not something that's fun to watch. and slugs oh my gosh those slimy things they love them.

How many of these small fish a day can ducks eat? We live next to a reiver and get free baby fish all the time that they love! My Pekins will eat everything in 5 minutes until they are gone. But how much is too much?

Depends on the duck size and how much feed or forage they get. If they are getting the fish themselves I wouldn't worry about the quantity too much unless they are obviously gaining weight. Breeding season, laying season takes a lot of energy! My free range ducks eat snakes, moles, mice, frogs, and chase each other to get that prize. My birds also have access to pellets but don't eat much feed when it greens up outside and the pond gets active. If you are giving the birds fish as food or treats in a pen or cage situation, I wouldn't give them as much as they will eat because they are piggies and will certainly be overweight. I see too many Pekin who have cute fluffy bums nearly dragging the ground. I know that is not much of an answer, but are they penned up? feed used?

They are in a large pen. We use to free range them but we had a bobcat move into the area so we had to pen them to protect them. Normally they get fed in the am and pm but was wondering if we could replace the night feeding with fish.

Back
Top Bottom