1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do ducks feet peel?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TammyC, Oct 26, 2011.

1. TammyC

TammyC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    I have baby ducks about a week old to 2 weeks.. I noticed on 1 of them that there feet are peeling and wanted to know if its normal..

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have read here on the forum that that can happen. Do they get baths yet?

3. TammyC

TammyC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Not yet, I am going to put them in the tub tomorrow..

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That might help, I'm not sure. But I feel that baths (proper temperature, supervised, and into a clean dry brooder afterward) are very good for ducklings. I read that it helps them get started preening.

You might see if you can take a photo and upload it. There's peeling and then there's peeling.

Sometimes something irritates the feet. Sometimes it just happens with ducklings. Mine didn't peel, if I recall correctly.

Are you in an arid area?

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It is very normal to notice the skin peeling. They grow at such a rapid rate that sometimes they loose skin much more like a snake in large pieces where you can easiely see all the scales coming off together rather than loosing it cell by cell. Wet brooders can also cause peeling when a fungal infection sets in- but that is fairly rare and comes with a whole different set of symptoms with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by