Do ducks need a light to lay eggs in the winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nicoley2132, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Nicoley2132

Nicoley2132 New Egg

Jan 10, 2013
    Like a chicken needs light in order to continue laying in the winter, do ducks? My girls were laying great then they stopped, or is it because i got them a drake boyfriend?

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    my runners lay fine

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They could just be resting their bodies. They'll probably pick up to the same pace once spring rolls around.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    My ducks have slowed, but I'm noticing that as temperatures are increasing I am finding more eggs. 3 today, 4 yesterday.

5. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine started laying Sept2. But not until the end of November were all 11 laying. We get 8-11 eggs everyday. No lights. Weather ranges 50s and sunny during the day (to rainy and a couple light snows that stuck for a few hours) and night times temps in the teens to low 30s. It's been a little abnormally cold lately though so the ducks ice skate on the pond for a while until the geese usually fall through and bust it up a bit lol!

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Some breeds are more seasonal layers than others. Do depending on what breed you have they may not lay either way right at the moment. Some better laying breeds or strains of duck will lay almost year round- and providing extra light will keep them laying - however others that generally only lay 30 - 50 eggs a year are not likely to start laying again until spring.

Providing a light can actually throw them out of the natural body rhythm they have with the seasons. They will always take a break form laying when molting as well.

7. Nicoley2132

Nicoley2132 New Egg

Jan 10, 2013
    I have Rouen ducks and they seem to be fat and healthy, i have them on a chicken layer mash which they love. I will also start giving them some scratch and just see if its the weather or the season. Would it be the fact that i just got them there first drake that would make them stop laying?

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Changes in flock dynamics can throw off laying. Laying is regulated by day length too. Providing light can help but doing so you need to follow strict regimens and also force-molt your birds every 10-18 months. I prefer my birds to live as naturally as possible they lay when they want, for as long as they want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by