do ducks need a "nesting" box like hens like?

I don't know a thing about ducks but have chickens and got curious about ducks. When your ducks lay anywhere do your chickens not step on them or peck them?

I bought some bigger plastic tubs at Walmart, $3.40, - cut a hole in one end, put the lid on, tipped it upside down, filled it with straw and my ducks started using them within one day in both pens I put them in. I bought the tan colored ones to match the straw -
lol.png

Last edited:
Hi, i have 2 Muscovy Ducks. 1 male 1 female. They live in a big purple cage, do they need to live in a nest box. because we really want baby ducklings and eggs!

My girls definitely prefer one but being Muscovy I don't think that is unusual. When they go broody they make a nest i have a platform in my coop and underneath makes for a covered 'nesting area'..

I also have a hen brooding a nest right now under a cardboard box(yes in the coop) were planning on replacing it with wood lol

Last edited:
Helen dug a nice little hole (where I have difficulty getting to). I'm going to try this nesting box idea. I'll let you guys know in a day or two how it works out for my little girl.

thumbsup.gif

We want to make a nest for the female muscovy to lay eggs. But how do we make one. Do we buy one? And where can we buy one??
hmm.png

Mine will lay anywhere. Some will fly in the chicken's nesting boxes and lay, some will climb in the nesting boxes that are on the floor in the chicken house and lay, others will lay under the raised coop and others will lay in the middle of the chicken yard.

Ha! Everyone's posts are great.
My ducks have a lovely nestbox I made from a tub I got at Wal-Mart. I put eggs in it for weeks. They kicked them out, moved them all over the yard.
I put them back.
Now that they are finally laying they have made a lovely nest across the duck house from their nest boxes. They lay in that nest everyday & bury the eggs pretty well.
I am about to do some remodeling of the duck house & was debating adding a nest box, until I came across this thread. Now I don't think I'm not gonna bother.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom