Do ducks need constant access to swimming water?

holiday hawk

Chirping
Apr 12, 2023
I'm thinking about getting ducks to add to my flock, I had a post a while back asking about Muscovies. I also like the idea of Khakis, but my biggest reservation is what I would do with the water from the kiddie pool after dumping it out; I would not want to turn my backyard into a swamp from dumping it out every other day or so. I've seen a few places online saying that ducks do not need constant access to swimming water, though, just enough to dunk their heads in. Would I be able to offer them a kiddie pool over the weekend, and then leave it dry over the week? That would let the area dry back up without having more and more water perpetually added to it. Would they be healthy being able to swim three days a week?

I'm thinking about getting ducks to add to my flock, I had a post a while back asking about Muscovies. I also like the idea of Khakis, but my biggest reservation is what I would do with the water from the kiddie pool after dumping it out; I would not want to turn my backyard into a swamp from dumping it out every other day or so. I've seen a few places online saying that ducks do not need constant access to swimming water, though, just enough to dunk their heads in. Would I be able to offer them a kiddie pool over the weekend, and then leave it dry over the week? That would let the area dry back up without having more and more water perpetually added to it. Would they be healthy being able to swim three days a week?
Are you living in a wet area?
I change my pools out every couple of days and use the water for the plants in my garden.
But to answer your question, I think that a once a week swim is adequate.

My Muscovy probably wouldn't be too upset about not having water every day to bathe in although they do like to bathe, but my Runners and Buffs would be devastated they love their pools so much they will nap in them during the day. In winter mine don't get to have pool water when it gets into the freezing mark. But they sure use their heated buckets to clean up in.

I added a hole with a hose I cut ti length I wanted
This way you can have it drain where you want
Although where I drain mine my lawn is very green

Yes.
Swimming isn't a necessity for ducks, but it I'd a great form of enrichment for most of them.
My girls get access to a pool during the daytime, every day except during the coldest months of winter. Purely because the hose freezes, the pool freezes, and they are not the best at waterproofing their lower tummies either. They don't miss it too much.
Just ensure they do always have a bucket of water that they can dunk their whole heads in.

I can't imagine that your backyard would be a swamp. I dump mine daily in the evening and it's just slightly damp in the morning. The trick is to use a movable walk in pen and move it every day. Then the water never gets dumped in the same place. It also never smells and there's no flies. If you use a stationary pen with ducks, it can be a terrible stinky muddy mess and fly nightmare. We don't find moving the pens to be a burden because it saves us from the nightmare of a stationary pen.

I will say, although all sources say they just need a place to dunk their heads, I believe Muscovies are more prone to Wet Feather Disease/Disorder, and not having daily clean bathing water is one thing they say tips them into getting it. I also noticed when my Runner males were only getting swimming water twice a week they started looking unkept and had a weird look to the feathers around their eyes. As soon as they got daily swimming again, it disappeared. They may be able to survive with water 2 days a week but they are healthier and happier being able to swim daily, or at least every other day. Just my opinion. Ducks are made to swim. They might survive without it but I'm sure it causes them stress. They LOVE to groom after swimming!

Back
Top Bottom