Do ducks need crushed oyster shells like chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cat1994, Nov 27, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I know chickens sometimes need crushed oyster shells to make the eggs they lay have stronger shells? But do ducks need crushed oyster shells also? Thanks

2. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Yes they do. Happy to help [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:Thanks, I thought they did but my dad said they didn't, thank you

4. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    You can also crush the shells of the eggs they give you, and feed those back in addition to the oyster. Why let em go to waste you know? [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My muscovy girls eat it when they are laying. Their egg shells are like cement just about have to use a hammer to crack, lol

6. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    You should give it in a seperate dish from the main food, it's bad for the drakes.

7. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:Oh my, really? How can I keep my lil drakes from eatting it when they want to?!

8. linda_zeagler31002

linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    Yes, please tell me the answer also, because my drakes jump the hens over any food, LOL

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:Oh my, really? How can I keep my lil drakes from eatting it when they want to?!

The drakes most likely won't even try...mine don't. They might eat a bit at first but then they'll ignore it, provided they are well fed otherwise.

10. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Yes, the same here. I currently have 3 food bowls in the duck house. One big bowl with the 17% protein grower/developer crumbles, one small bowl with the oyster shell, and one small bowl with grit. We have snow on the ground, so they need the grit. The boy doesn't eat the oyster shell, but they girls do. I also have a dog waterer, which I add a vitamin/mineral additive once per week. They also get greens (no spinach) as snacks. They are quite happy and thrive nicely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by