Do ducks need shelter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hegatha, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Do ducks need Shelter? I was thinking about buying a plastic dog house but not sure it will be enough?
    Thanks

2. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont have ducks but would think they should have something. Boosting this so hopefully someone with ducks can get you better info

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I personally lock all my ducks up at night in a predator proof house. Raccoons, fox, etc. can and will kill ducks. My smaller ducks stay in a large fully covered enclosure to keep them safe from hawks as well. So in my opinion, yes, ducks need shelter.

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:X2

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I think it depends on your climate. I believe in northern areas where there is significant winter cold they should be offered the option.

I spent a bit of time building a duck house, similar to the one I built for my chickens.

The ducks refused to go in it, and in fact seemed terrified of it at first. I gave up trying to force them into it.

They did warm up to it enough to enjoy perching on TOP of its flat roof during the day. They also enjoyed it when the outer siding fell off due to my poor carpentry skills, and they ATE the pink Owens Corning insulation foamboard. I was sure they would die, but it seemed harmless to them.

I put clean straw in there -- they have NEVER used it or entered it in 2 years -- that straw is still pristine. But its there if they want it. Didn't even go in there to lay eggs, I was kind of hoping they might use it for that at least.

They don't seem to care how cold it was -- even at air temps of -15 last winter they just sleep in a group in the corner of the pen.

6. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I have a shelter for my ducks. They dont use it to often but will in the heat of the day or when it is really cold at night. Also they use it to lay their eggs in, I got luck on that part. Lol! But otherwise they are outside in their run, or free ranging. At night they do go back in their run but 99% of the time they sleep outside in the nice fresh grass. [​IMG] So yes I would have a shelter, just in case they want/need somewhere to go. Especially if you get really cold winters. I make my ducks go in their coop in the winter, mostly because predators are really hungry in the winter and our dogs are inside at night in the winter.

7. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    I was trying to find a wooded dog house on craigslist. I only got two ducks at the moments but think of added two more.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ours have a heavy insulated wooden dog house they do use it on occasion but seem to prefer the ramp [​IMG] they are all under it now... of coarse we're in late/spring almost summer by winter i am betting they'll appreciate a warm place.. we intend on building an actual duck house before then.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  9. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:X2

X3

10. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I think I interpret "shelter" as being different and distinct from and "enclosure". To me, "shelter" means some kind of small weatherproof structure they can get in to escape extremes of heat and cold and possibly moisture. And enclosure aka a pen or run, is larger and keeps them safe from predators.

I don't let anything "free range" -- its just NOT safe. We don't have large predators where I am, but plenty of hawks, raccoons, etc. Not to mention one of the now-altered ecosystem's top predators, the automobile on a busy road.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by