do ducks need water overnight when it's hot out

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
I normally don't put water inside their house overnight because obviously way to messy... but when it's probably 85 degrees inside their house right now, I wonder if I should? I converted a beautiful Amish playhouse into duckhouse by adding 9 more windows (it came with 2) and drilled a couple hundred holes both up near the top of the walls and near the bottom also. ( In the winter I boarded up the lower holes. ) even have a little battery fan attached to the hardware cloth in one of the windows, blowing out, to pull air through the house, and I put a reflective tarp over the roof for the summer, it all seems to be helping. The sad thing is the house doesn't get shade... no trees big enough yet. It's very tall and difficult to shade it. Last summer when I first bought this new house for them I had not yet made all the improvements, so, when it was in the 90's during the day, I brought my ducks into the spare room I have in my basement (much cooler!) It's a big job to get them all to go down there so I want to avoid doing that this year. In a few hours the temp will be down to 75 but now it's still 85 and they are in their house and look hot (panting) Do you think I should put a water bucket in there?

Last edited:
I don't know - water is a mess overnight, but I live in the Pacific NW and my ducks get hot and pant if we reach the 80s. I put water with them overnight a few nights during the summer when it's especially hot! If it's that warm in their house I would definitely make sure they have water.

I'm like you, I hate keeping water in the house bc its so messy. It was 81 in their house a few nights ago and almost all were panting, so I put a bucket of water in with them and within a half an hour everyone stopped panting and went to sleep. Seems like anything over 78, my ducks need water all night. Means extra cleaning for me, but at least everyone's happy and comfortable overnight

I'm like you, I hate keeping water in the house bc its so messy. It was 81 in their house a few nights ago and almost all were panting, so I put a bucket of water in with them and within a half an hour everyone stopped panting and went to sleep. Seems like anything over 78, my ducks need water all night. Means extra cleaning for me, but at least everyone's happy and comfortable overnight
I use a plastic storage box about 12x18x6 inches. Cut two holes in the lid at opposite corners about 5 inches diameter. Clip the lid back on. The ducks can drink and wash their heads through the holes but no mess! I always keep in the coop with them. 2 ducks

I use a plastic storage box about 12x18x6 inches. Cut two holes in the lid at opposite corners about 5 inches diameter. Clip the lid back on. The ducks can drink and wash their heads through the holes but no mess! I always keep in the coop with them. 2 ducks
Can you post a picture for us visual learners? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom