Do ducks see in color?

hendrix25

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
GA
I have three ducklings and over the past few weeks I've noticed that it appears they see color. The other day we had them outside and I had on a red t shirt and they wanted NOTHING to do with me, granted the day before they followed me everywhere I went. They were actually running from me. My husband seems to think it was the red shirt. Then yesterday I was feeding them chopped up tomatoes and when I would drop the tomatoes they would go right to it. Then when there were no more tomatoes, they were trying to pick up my toenails, which are painted red. Anytime I have any color but red on, they love love me, and follow me everywhere and freak if I leave them outside alone. Any thoughts on this subject?

yes all birds do that is why the boys are so collorful
smile.png

Quote:
thanks...I did not know that. I thought the females were just more neutral colored so they would blend in better when sitting on a nest. but thanks, any idea why certain colors freak them out?

That is odd or my ducks are; one of the two. They are using a chick waterer with a red bottom, have a red chick feeder, and a red heat lamp bulb and they are drawn to the red I guess. It did not bother them when I wore my red robe last night.
idunno.gif

Quote:
what's strange is i have been using the same waterer you are describing, and they love it see it coming...they know theres water in it. and they love seeing the tomatoes coming, just the red shirt is a bit too much for them i guess.

I have three ducklings and over the past few weeks I've noticed that it appears they see color. The other day we had them outside and I had on a red t shirt and they wanted NOTHING to do with me, granted the day before they followed me everywhere I went. They were actually running from me. My husband seems to think it was the red shirt. Then yesterday I was feeding them chopped up tomatoes and when I would drop the tomatoes they would go right to it. Then when there were no more tomatoes, they were trying to pick up my toenails, which are painted red. Anytime I have any color but red on, they love love me, and follow me everywhere and freak if I leave them outside alone. Any thoughts on this subject?
Omg my ducks do the same thing when they see red

Back
Top Bottom