Do EEs go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BarnGoddess01, Mar 14, 2011.

1. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Anybody have any experience? I have a 1 year old EE hen acting odd. She spent most of the afternoon glued to the coop whilst everyone else was out free-ranging and enjoying a spectacularly sunny day (after a TOO long winter), doing the egg song for much longer than usual, and she seems to be spending longer than usual in the nest box with the most eggs - giving me the "piss off" look when I come to collect eggs. She definitely isn't truly broody yet but is she heading that direction?

2. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

That sounds pretty close to being about right for a hen trying to go broody.

I want more broody hens. I just did a hatch in the incubator and a concomitant hatch under the broody. Had about a 25% hatch rate in the house but an 80% hatch rate under the broody. Ding ding ding, the broody wins every time!

ETA: Yes, EE's do go broody occasionally. My broody is an EE/american game mix, and her mother was an EE and hatched her during a broody phase.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  3. jeepers210

jeepers210 In the Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    Sounds like a broody! See if she raises her feather at you if you get near her.

4. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My last broody was an EE, 2 or 3 years old, never went broody before. She hatched the chicks and was a good mama for 4-5 weeks.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Yes they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: