1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do EE's lay blue eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ging3rhoffman, Mar 31, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Do EE's lay blue eggs? If so, what are the chances. If you had 6 hens perhaps maybe 1 would lay blue eggs? Is it the same with pink eggs? I figure most lay the olive green eggs. I guess i will find out in about 4 months. [​IMG] Please share your pictues.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It's possible that they could lay a blue egg. Most EE eggs that I've seen have been a blue/green color. You could also get brown eggs, which are supposed to be "pink" but they just look brown to me.

3. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I have a dark green layer and a light green layer. Here is a sample of the shades I have gotten from the two. I did get a blue egg once! It is on the top left.

[​IMG]

Here it is up close compared to the green.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    My EE lays eggs with a definite pink hue. The middle egg of my Avatar photo is hers. Compared to the browns and whites, it is definitely different.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Depending on the strain and the breeding, different EE's will aly different colored eggs. You might have 6 that lay green eggs, or 6 that lay pink(brown eyes) and so on. Theres no % on color chance wise

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have one laying EE.. she lays almost a blue egg.'

[​IMG]

7. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    My EEs lay beautiful pale sky blue eggs, as nice as the purebred Ameraucanas. But that's more the exception than the rule. I think they usually lay green eggs of various shades.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  8. ging3rhoffman

Feb 23, 2009
    I am hoping for pink, blue, aqua and green eggs ! Thats not a tall order is it? LOL. I am having so much fun with my chicks that I dont care if they lay at all. Most of them come running when I come in to see them. They are so sweet. I will try again to post their picture.

9. ging3rhoffman

Feb 23, 2009
    Thats so weird, everytime we type in the word "EGG" it post as rooster.[​IMG]

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Seems to be a technical glitch. Ive PM'd Nifty about it.

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by