Do eggs get heavier during incuabtion?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wooden_Pony, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just curious....

Someone else thought they should be get lighter and DH and I think that if something is going on in the egg they should get heavier.

Now we are all stumped [​IMG]

Anyone know! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    No, I think they get lighter.

3. Eryn

Eryn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I would think that they get heavier at first... But since the air cell gets bigger as they grow I would say should get lighter! Our thought of a baby getting heavier as it grows comes from mammals like us! They absorb from mom as they develop but eggs have everything they need in the egg to start! Yet there is more air at hatch than at lay, so I would say for sure lighter! [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

5. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks guys for your help on this!!

Thank you Silkie [​IMG] for the link it makes sense on what you were saying. It was very interesting how Chellester described it as well!

6. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I actually have eggs going into the hatcher tomorrow that I have been weighing at each candling I have a post on here somewhere for the begining and 1st candling but have not put up the 2nd candling weights yet as I have been ridiculously busy the last few days and it is getting worse but that is OK I am making $ to help finance my chicken habit.

OK I updated here is the link

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=327653#p327653

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by