Do electrics including electric fence chargers affect egg laying?

MasAhora

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2016
Paraguay
In my family there are people genuinely made ill by EMF smog from wifi, electric meters etc. So I've no doubt they cause harm when in close proximity.
A couple of years ago we placed an electric fence charger in our hen house to manage the electric fence for our cattle. It is a convenient location. However, I am wondering if this has affected the hens that roost and lay there.

I can't really compare egg laying with my other free roaming flock because they are younger (no retirees).
But, I am now introducing younger egg layers to the hen house. The electric fence chargers we can buy here are noisy unfortunately, constant ticking 24/7. I can relocate the charger but it is going to be a little costly.
Does anyone know if electrical disturbances and EMF smog affect laying hens?

I did a few searches, and I found no studies on this subject regarding laying hens and fence chargers. I can tell you from my experience that noise is something chickens adjust to very quickly and they tune it out. However, if your charger also emits a blinking light, that could affect their sleep which can affect laying.

The amount of EMF coming from a fence charger has got to be minuscule. EMF radiation drops off a cliff as you go away from it, as in like half the dose for every inch of distance. Starting with low level, as would be the case, I can’t see how the emf emitted at the distance a chicken would be would have any effect at all. Did you see a change in egg production or behavior?

The most interesting things I’ve found on emf suggest that it all comes down to whether the frequency is sympathetic to or antagonistic to the organism’s resonant frequency. There is even a school of thought that says matching people with phones that have a sympathetic frequency to their own electro magnetic field may even have the potential to enhance their well being, while a dissonant frequency can indeed cause issues. It’s a reality that’s pretty far out in the weeds and to me, it all comes down being as objective as you can using your own body’s observational feedback loops to assess what is helpful vs harmful to you. This of course can be very subjective and prone to placebo, but for the very sensitive individual, sometimes it’s the best you’ve got. Imperial science gives us tendencies and averages, which may or may not be applicable to the unique individual. In my book, “Between the opposites lies the path”, you are the ultimate authority on your own risk assessment, you ultimately have to live with the outcome.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom