Do exit drains clog in duck pools?

MouseBandit2

Hatching
May 12, 2016
Hi! We are starting the planning to get some ducks (thinking maybe 4-6? for meat and eggs). We will be setting up some sort of little pool / pond for them, using a stock tank probably or something like that, probably buried in the ground. We will have water from our spring overflow that we are thinking about just running through it. During the end of summer, it might get slow enough that it wouldn't be a constant flow, maybe rinse out every other day, or something.

I'm picturing it coming from a PVC pipe into the pool, then have a drain in the low end of the far side, and let it run out that into either another PVC pipe, or free flow down to the lower pasture / ditch.

Should I expect to be cleaning out that drain frequently? Daily? Weekly? Will there be tons of poop in the bottom of the pool that I will need a way to clean?

I'm sure there's tons I'm not thinking of. I'll be getting books and doing tons more reading, just getting some ideas together.

Thank you!

MouseBandit

Cleaning will depend on several different factors. How much food, feathers, dirt, grass, leaves, twigs and etc they bring into "pool" or blows in.

We used to have large duck ponds. 60 feet x 15 feet x 5 feet deep. We had pvc pipes and "fire hydrant" valves to open and drain our big ponds. We've used PVC pipes for drains on smaller pools as well. They work well, sometimes we have to flush them with extra water, especially when the birds are molting, storms and etc. The pasture grasses love the "duck water". :)

Good luck and enjoy your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom