1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do female chicks chest bump?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheSpiceGirls, Dec 4, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I picked up four day-old Buff Orpingtons from the feed store yesterday. They are 96% guaranteed to be females. But I'm noticing lots of chest bumping going on and when I put my hand inside the brooder, one will run up and peck me. These ladies are just days old. Not even a week.

Do I have a roo?

I bought four from this place last year and one turned out to be a roo. I really only plan on keeping two of the pullets so even if two are males, I'm still okay. But I was hoping to sell the two others as pullets. Really breaks my heart to give away roosters because I know what their fate will probably be.

Thoughts?

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    absolutely. mine even fly up at each other, just like roosters.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    All of mine chest bump. They all work out pecking order. It's pretty cute. [​IMG]

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Chest bumping can be girls establishing pecking order too. Wait till week four and watch comb/wattle growth for red and big= roo.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes they do with flared neck feathers and the whole deal. It's just 'chicken politics.'

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Yes. It is my favorite chick stage. [​IMG] I take a cup of coffee outside and enjoy the show.

7. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Okay. Whew. I'll chill and let them be baby chicks. They are all falling asleep now. SOOOOOO very cute!

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ours all did from about 6 weeks of age and still do. They sometimes puff their hackles and bounce and flat out leap right on top of each other. All five are definitely pullets.

9. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Mine sure did. I miss that part.

10. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks All. I'm a nervous wreck for a mama hen.

All I do is think about the chicks. What if the power goes out? What if the heat lamp bulb burns out in the middle of the night? Are they happy?

I vaguely remember my chicks chest bumping when I did this 14-15 months ago. But one of those turned out to be a roo so I wasn't sure if he was starting it.
    These guys are only about 5 days old and I thought that seemed a bit early to be jockeying for position. But I guess it's not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by