Do free range chickens need grit?

I really think the grit issue should be related to the type of soil you have. Grit is ground granite, a very hard stone. If you have anything comparable in your soil, then you shouldn't need to supply it. And there has been some research that suggests some hens need more calcium than others.

A small bag of grit and oyster shell probably costs about $15 together. I don't know the exact price because, even though I offer both, I haven't run out in nearly two years. I have 17 chickens, and have had a good number more.

Quote:
That's the crux of the issue for me. It's CHEAP insurance to me.
There's plenty of rocks here, but they are soft river rocks, which DO work just need to be replaced more often. They have granite grit if they want it.

Same with oyster shells, they have it if they want/need it, and I have to figure out how to store the other 49# until they use it up
lol.png
I don't see myself going broke buying oyster shell, but at the same time I don't want them to suddenly get soft shells or internal laying problems due to not enough calcium in their diet. They can get more if they feel like they need it.

I do not offer grit as we have a long drive with lots of grit on it, but I grate a piece of cuttlefish bone onto their food from time to time......VERY hard shells.

Quote:
Uh, it stays in the gizzard until it grinds away and needs to be replaced. I guess maybe they poop out "sand" if that's what you mean by "recycled"? They can't use it again, coz it's ground up to nothingness.

are egg shells ground up to a powder or what form? also, mine are out almost all day, most days. Our soil here is probably more of a clay type soil I'd guess. Should I offer them some sand to see if they want it? someone mentioned they know if they need it, really? also, isn't the layena feed expressly 'for' laying hens, so it should be formulated with proper calcium levels? thanks

Quote:
Uh, it stays in the gizzard until it grinds away and needs to be replaced. I guess maybe they poop out "sand" if that's what you mean by "recycled"? They can't use it again, coz it's ground up to nothingness.

The granite grit I use (My drive way gravel screened for size) Does not get ground up it gets pooped out still in the size of grit. Not that I go digging in the poo to look or anything.g..
gig.gif

I still would not count on it getting recycled though.

ON

Quote:

The granite grit I use (My drive way gravel screened for size) Does not get ground up it gets pooped out still in the size of grit. Not that I go digging in the poo to look or anything.g..
gig.gif

Hehehe that's a funny

As I think I stated already, the natural rocks here are soft river bed rocks - which is probably while they seem to turn to sand.
I offer granite grit from the store, and I've not noticed it coming through "whole" but I really don't go out of my way to look either.
I've butchered free range roosters and found glass (the car safety kind) in their gizzard. I wouldn't recommend using that for grit, but I don't guess it hurt him any
tongue.png
(someone busted my truck window in my driveway back in 2008 and I'm sure there's still stray bits of safety glass in the driveway)
I've given them small aquarium gravel once. It was very old crushed clearish "crystals" type rocks, not the neon painted stuff you get nowadays. I found that in the same roo too.

Rinse the shells, turn them over to dry. When they are completey dry put them in your blender or Vitamix dry container. Grind 'em up and voila!

Back
Top Bottom