Do free range chickens need grit?

Hi everyone. I also breed zebra finches, and when I give them egg shells, I microwave them first for about 1 1/2 minutes (shells from 2 or 3 chicken eggs) and when they are 'cooked', I crumble them to bits. That is what I was taught to do to reduce any kind of cross-contamination. Hope this helps.

Susan

Can it be harmful to offer grit to free range chickens? I hope that doesn't sound like a silly question.

Quote:
Not at all. If they don't want it, they won't eat it. They know when they have enough. I don't give mine any grit right now, because they get to free range daily, and there's plenty of other small pebbles and things in their run for them.

Hmmmm.....mine are out daily and have gone through almost 5 pounds of grit in about three weeks time. They are about 10 weeks old. Should I assume they aren't finding enough? I may as well ask this too. Is all grit the same? I bought the MannaPro grit and found that Fleet Farm carries much larger bags but I just don't know enough about grit to know if I need to be concerned about the quality of it as well.

Pardon my ignorance...but I'd love to know who decided that chickens need "oyster shell" in order to have adequate calcium in their diet. How many chickens in the wild would have had access to oyster shell? Are there flocks on the beach? Would commercial layer feed not include enough calcium? I could see how free-ranging might fulfill that need in the warm season, but what about the winter? I was just going to feed their own egg shells back to them once they started laying. Oysters! Really? What about clams?
hu.gif

gig.gif
Very good point. I guess that would be the same as when someone says you are lacking potassium because you don't eat enough bananas.

I give mine oyster shell free choice some times they eat it others they do not. I would imagine in a free range situation they would be able to find calcium from other sources.. I think there is a difference between them needing it and doing better and having harder shells if given ample calcium

Would also add that since we have bred for higher egg production we probably need higher than normal calcium consumption.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have never offered grit or calcium to my birds. Their eggs have ridiculously hard shells, so I'm assuming they get plenty of calcium when they're out free ranging all day. I have honestly never come across such hard shells in my life before, so I am also assuming it must have something to do with their breed, because their shells were just as hard even before I started free ranging them.

I would say give your birds grit if you wish, but if they have access to small pebbles and etc., then they don't really need it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom