Do Geese need a pool or not? + other Geese care questions.

They are very young goslings and we have them both seperated from one another with many chicks. Do you think it's likely that would happen? We got them more for an emergency alarm then to fight back predators. What do you think of are plan? Thanks,
I would put the geese back together and separate from the chicks. The worse thing to do with poultry is get them confused at to what species they belong to. They need to know they are both geese, and the chicks are chickens or else you could have cross species fighting and mating.

Geese should be on something more suited to waterfowl, like a flock raiser because they need more niacin and other B vitamins. Niacin isn’t the only B they need. Other vitamins like E are also critically important.

30% protein gamebird I’ve used for underweight adult birds, for goslings it could cause an issue like angel wing because it’s just too high in protein and carbs.

Brewers yeast is what a lot of people supplement with, I’ve alsways just given straight vitamins myself. @Miss Lydia @oldhenlikesdogs do you have recommendations for what kind of yeast brand is best?

A baby pool is just fine for any kind of goose and it will make their lives much better by having one. I have no idea how that would effect your chickens,, I don’t have chickens myself.

Geese can be trained to some extent, they like routines, they’ll go into their bedtime shed at night without any fuss when guided in at night, though they won’t go in unless they’re guided in.

Geese don’t make good flock guardians. They will deter hawks but nothing else, they can’t protect themselves let alone anything else from larger/other predators.
Geese are also questionable flock companions, they generally don’t like other bids I’ve found, they can bond with an individual of another species but most of the time they just tolerate the presence of chickens and ducks as long as they give them personal space. If the chicken or duck doesn’t maintain boundaries it can end badly for them sometimes.
We have many predators of all sorts here and they will be more of an alarm system than a defender for are flock. We separated the moment we got home and they are with many chicks. Thank you for this valuable info.

Geese wont protect from predators my gander attacks chickens and ripped a tail off a turkey before. They wont make a sound for a predator if its attacking chickens only if they are getting attacked then again ive had ducks taken by predators with my geese right there

that is sad you have separated them. They really do need each other. They will grow up with your birds and like you said sound the alarm but to separate them is cruel.All your birds will be running together right? so let the goslings grow up together too along with your chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/reasons-why-you-shouldnt-keep-just-one-goose.1220102/
We are setting up several bird coop/runs on are property. We will have to see. Geese aren't very affordable here and there wasn't many left. This is the first time we ever saw them at are farm store and they said they rarely get geese at all. I didn't realize this was a problem. I read the article BTW. Good one too.

Geese wont protect from predators my gander attacks chickens and ripped a tail off a turkey before. They wont make a sound for a predator if its attacking chickens only if they are getting attacked then again ive had ducks taken by predators with my geese right there
What breed of geese do you have? We bought Chinese Geese because people say they sound an alarm when ever something comes by them and they're flock.

I've read if you have multiple geese together with your chickens they will ignore them and not be a good flock guardian.

You're going to be disappointed because your expecting too much out of these geese. When there are many geese they will work together to sound the alarm. I read once that a prison in another country can't remember where had Chinese geese in the yards at the prison to keep prisoners from escaping many people are terrified of geese. Predators not so much. My goose is among chickens and ducks all day, But I know from having her for 10 yrs she is not going to protect any of them. She'll give a low warning sound when there is a deer walking outside of their fence but that is all she does. When a red tail hawk killed one of my bantam hens her and her mate were up against the fence scared to death right along with the ducks.

Thank you all for this valuable info. I am going to have to ope for the best with these geese. I have heard people having success with them and chickens so hopefully we will too.

Back
Top Bottom