1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do guinea kill chickens?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by retiredwithchicks, Nov 14, 2014.

1. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    i have 8 guinea and know they chase and pull feathers sometimes but wondering if they would kill chickens. I have found 2 dead chickens 3 different times in the pen. This has happened at night. My pen is very secure but something as small as a weasel might get through the 2x4 wire fencing in a few places. I want to rule out the guinea if possible so to know what o do next. I could separate the guinea if needed since I have 9 pens within the large pen but hate to confine them if not necessary. Thoughts??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, guinea fowl on a rampage might kill a chicken, but it would not happen during the night. Sounds more like you are dealing with a predator.

3. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Guineas can and will kill chickens and chickens can do the same but as sourland stated, if only on a rampage. My guineas would chase and pluck the feathers out of the hens but never attack to kill. The only time that occurred was when a new male was added. You see the new rooster and my original guinea cock had dominance issues and they would have killed one another. An established flock will not kill one another, especially during the night. You have a predator on your hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by