1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Guineas eat Ticks?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Aug 24, 2011.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Hi,

I happend to click on this thread about um...2 months ago maybe more and I saw a topic that they eat ticks/keep there populaiton in check?

Happy-Hens

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Guineas will eat any bug they can find, including ticks.

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Of all the things people say about guineas the tick eating is really true. I used to have ticks on my dog and I haven't seen one in years. They don't eat red ants and I've never seen mine go after a snake. Oh and the head is just a decoration - not a lot of brains in there.

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:OMG.... [​IMG] its true.... sooo true.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    Ticks for sure! They are also quite the little gardeners. They love to eat weed seeds!!!

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    YES! I had guineas, and there is always that one neighbor... so I fenced in my yard, and everyone complained that they had ticks again, so we let a few free range again... NO ticks!

7. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Yes they do indeed take care of ticks!!! The first 2 years I lived here my horses suffered horribly from the tick infestation... I was literally pulling off at least 50 ticks per horse at feeding time every day, ALL YEAR LONG. There was no "tick season" on this property, it was a year long battle. Sprays and drops had no effect on reducing the numbers I was pulling off my poor horses, dogs and cats. THEN... I got Guineas [​IMG] I stopped using sprays and drops and I think I have pulled off maybe a total of a dozen ticks off of all 6 of my horses, 5 dogs plus 2 outside cats combined over the past 5 yrs. And I have yet to see one on ME [​IMG]

8. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    We had ticks so bad you couldn't stay outside for more than 5 min. without getting one on you. After about 1 1/2 months of 8 Guineas they had cleared about 50 acres of ticks. Now you NEVER see any ticks.

9. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    guineas are the kings of eating ticks.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by