Do Guineas repel snakes?

Guineas are definitely GOOFY!! I remember the first time that I ever saw one, I thought that they were the ugliest things that I had ever seen...They grew on me after a little while, though. I love the built in car alarm sound that they make and since I don't plan to have a dog, I would feel better with some kind of critter that can alert us to danger.

They are also good for getting rid of ticks in your yard. My mom has a big problem with ticks and she was told to get them or geese.

Havent really seen them take on snakes yet as mine were to young last summer to free range yet. But they did a awsome job on the ticks we have here in Kansas. As long as you stayed in the yard and didnt roam out to the pastures it was pretty tick clear. My chickens free range to and they help alot with the ticks too. As far as snakes I have found bull snakes in a coop eating a egg till he lost his head. I found a cotton mouth this summer in my bigger coop and it didnt last to long either and the chickens acted like it wasnt even there. Just scared the peediddle out of me. So we will see if it works this summer and maybe we wont get the flooding we got last year and maybe the snakes will stay gone. Yep I just love my guinnies and the way they sound, Great alarm...

2 years ago I had a problem with bull snakes eating my call duck eggs. But since I've enlarged my guinea flock I haven't seen any snakes. Don't know if the guineas worked,or that I have thinned down the population of snakes. I don't kill them. I have my son relocate then,preferably miles away from me and mine.Unless of course they have teeth!Something very wrong about a snake with teeth.LOL

The "long" snake I saw the guineas eating was a green snake...Chickens would usually squawk at the big "chicken snakes", or black snacks..never saw them peck at a chicken snake, or try to eat that large of one either. I really don't know for sure what kind ours were, they were grey and black....loud...lol.
smile.png

I had about 7 that I let free range last spring. The ticks were GONE as soon as I started free ranging. It was not till late summer that the rest of my guineas were old enough to free range. At 1 point I have close to 30 free ranging on 3 acres. After they all were out I didnt see hardly any snakes. I had to go looking for them. Some male guineas have been known to kill and eat snakes but I think mostly they just make such a rachet that the snakes take off. If my cats kill a snake and leave it the guineas and chickens will eat it. I love to free range them but lost a bunch to predators so this years hatchlings will hopefully go in at night this time. Jenn

I have wondered about poultry and snakes. What I do know is that we used to have a real problem with snakes last year. They would even get into the house sometimes and one time got into the gerbil cage and ate one of my daughter's pets.
sad.png

Since I have had the chickens and ducks free-ranging outside, I haven't seen a snake. I am almost surprised, since they WILL lay eggs in the strangest places. Then again, it's still not that warm most of the time, so it can be partly that too.

I HOPE the chickens keep snakes away. I don't want to see them in the house anymore !!!

trish

Back
Top Bottom