Do hens also have the skinnier feathers by their tail?

sigmachigirl

Chirping
6 Years
May 21, 2013
Hi there, we have a now 20 week silver laced dark brahma, that we were assuming is a pullet. We have not been able to gauge her gender by her colorations as this was the first time the breeder had bred her silver laced brahma rooster with a dark brahma. I am praying she is a she, because she is lovely. I did notice today that back by her very round tail and other feathers that she does have some skinnier feathers coming in. They don't look really thin like traditional saddle feathers, so I am curious, do females also have thinner feathers that come in by the tail? All of her other feathers are very rounded, and no sign yet if any regular rooster tail feathers coming in, and no thin feathers at the neck. She's also not been slow to feather out at all. Thoughts? Here's a pic of her behind and side view.

Last edited:
I hope so! Losing her would break my heart. She was one of our first chickens. We aren't allowed to have roosters where we live.

Last edited:
Sorry, those are the roo feathers coming out on back. They're the white feathers with well defined black 'arrows' or 'spears' in the middle of each one. His wings will progressively get whiter with mostly white feathers with black tips. His neck is just now starting to grow pointy tipped roo feathers with lots of shine.

Sorry, those are the roo feathers coming out on back.  They're the white feathers with well defined black 'arrows' or 'spears' in the middle of each one.   His wings will progressively get whiter with mostly white feathers with black tips.  His neck is just now starting to grow pointy tipped roo feathers with lots of shine.

X2

Yes, he is a gorgeous bird. He's actually become less white around the wing area over time, or at least I think, and that was some of what kept me guessing/confused. He's a sweet rooster. He sat on my lap last week and let me pet him.

Back
Top Bottom