Do hens always lay in the same nesting box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mzrea, Oct 29, 2008.

1. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    I have 13 hens, 7 RIR and 6 BR all are 20 weeks old this week. One hen has been laying for about 11 days, 9 eggs in total always in the same nesting box. Today, again one egg but in a different box! Has someone else started laying or has Ms. Henny found new digs?

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Mine generally lay in the same nest boxes. Most of the time they use the first and third nest boxes, but sometimes I find an egg in the middle nest box. One time a ping-pong ball got kicked out of a nest box and out of the coop. Later that day I found an egg right next to the ping-pong ball. So I'm not sure if they lay in a specific nest box or next to a specific ping-pong or golf ball.

3. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Mine usually use the same nest box.... all of them use the same single box. The other 3 identical boxes just aren't good enough I guess [​IMG] That's why I haven't added any more. It would be a waste of materials and time. As for your new box with a new egg, you won't truly know till you end up with 2 eggs in one day.

Jess

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine generally lay in the same box. If their favorite box is occupied and they just can't hold on any longer they'll go to a different box. The funny part is when two hens get in the same box at the same time. They'll lay beak to tail from each other and lay their eggs.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have 6 hens. I have 6 nesting boxes. They all use the same one. ALL THE TIME. Rarely we find an egg in one of the other nests.

6. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    Okay, mine must be the oddballs. I only have 2 girls laying so far and sometimes there is an egg in the top nests, sometimes in the bottom nests and sometimes they share a nest; hmmm

7. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    Mine are all new layers, granted, but they really seem to be trying out all their options. I even once found an egg in the pen outside! They've laid in the litter on the floor of the coop, from the roost, and seem to be trying out all of the boxes to find the ones that are "just right". [​IMG]

-Christian

8. wegotchickens2

wegotchickens2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Sandpoint, N. Idaho
    LOL>. Gritsar, ours do the same thing.. head to tail, two in the same box, if they are both the same breed. Our Blk sex links kick out the Blk austros, every time, unless when laying at that very moment. Our Blk sex links are thuggettes when it comes to the boxes!

9. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Mine will lay in one nesting box for a long period, and then just change one day and start laying in another. Most of the time they all lay in the same box but occasionally I will find eggs in more than one box.
    I have 4 different breeds.

10. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    Well, only one egg again yesterday so who knows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by