Do hens do they "Hey You!" Whistle? Or only drakes? PEEEEEP??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by toadbriar, Jun 8, 2010.

1. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    You know the whistle I mean? I've got a little one doing the baby-version. Wondering if it's a boy thing or an everyone-thing [​IMG]

Also noticing, I think it's the dominant duck in each group who's done it - first-born, both times. My sample size is small so I'm not drawing conclusions, just find it interesting [​IMG]

2. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I've never heard my females do it... But my male does when he sees me with the food. "Heyyy she's got feed!" -whistle-

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Whistle? I haven't heard a whistle yet or maybe I am missing it. I know I have 2 males so far. Ok, I think I have 2 boys so far.
    How old are they when you hear the whistle? Or am I just missing something all together here?
    Maybe I can't hear it over Rowena yakking all the time or Quackers talking to herself constantly.

I was pretty sure that the two in the back were boys. A Pekin/Rouen mix and a Rouen. They don't quack but the Runner (Quackers) and Rowena quack a lot.

[​IMG]

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have only heard my drakes do that....the one I KNOW is a hen just quacks very loudly when she sees the "food person".[​IMG]

5. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    lol it sounds sorta like the kind of whistle you do with two fingers in your mouth, to get someone's attention - "HEY BUDDY!" Starts low, ends high.

Maybe they're trying to hail a cab [​IMG]

6. Bryanccfshr

Bryanccfshr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    I have a pekin drake who does the whistle. Very cute and why I haven't ate him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by