1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Hens Lay Eggs in the Evening?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azhenhouse, Feb 1, 2011.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    It seems I have a hen in the nesting box getting ready to lay an egg. It is 6:10PM. Is this normal or is there a problem? It's been snowing all day today and is very cold out. It also snowed yesterday. The chickens have not stepped foot out into the cold for two days, even though they are free to do so. So, I don't know if weather has anything to do with her laying so late or if something is wrong. What do you think?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Perfectly normal.
    In general, it takes a hen about 26 hours to produce an egg. What I've noted with my adult hens is that they start out laying very early in the morning, lay about an hour later each day after that until it gets way late in the evenings. Then they either start back real early the next morning or take a day off and start again on the third morning.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  3. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I collected eggs today at about 5. Went to feed them dinner at 6 had 1 more egg.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've had mine lay that late in the summer months, when the days were longer. The latest mine lay at this time of year seems to be 4:30ish. But yeah...they can lay early or late [​IMG]

5. Kathleen1115

Kathleen1115 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    I have one that has been known to lay as late as 7pm, but she's just starting, is laying some rubber eggs, and hasn't quite settled into a routine. My EE, who lays pretty consistently every day, gradually gets later and later in the day until she hits around 5pm, then she skips a day and starts in the morning of the following day. The girls who don't lay every day seem to stay pretty consistent with their timing when they do lay. Mine are all within their first month of laying, so it's been interesting to watch as their patterns start to become clearer. We're even getting to the point where we can start to tell whose egg is whose even when we didn't see them in the box with it.

6. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    Perfectly Normal. You can probably find an egg at 3 in the Morning, too.

7. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    I lock myy hens up at around 8:30pm every day and there is almost always a hen in her box.

8. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about your chickens laying late. Mine do it all the time. Once we heard a chicken at 3 am doing her egg laying clucking! [​IMG]

9. wademach1977

wademach1977 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    My chickens never lay in the morning but always lay in the afternoon or at nite so I have to go and check.

10. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I have hens that lay in the morning, some that lay in the afternoon, and some that lay in the evening right before dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by