Do Hens Need a Rooster Break?

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
My hens have been with my rooster for about 6 months now, and they've all got saddles on their backs because he's given them bald spots. He's a BIG rooster, but he doesn't seem to have sharp or very long spurs and is not aggressive at all. He's 1.5 years now.

The girls are going through their molt and I don't want him to stress them too much during this time that's so hard on their bodies. Should I separate him for a month or so to give them a break? I have 7 hens but 6 more growing up so once they're older he'll have more hens to share his attention with.

Any suggestions on how to separate him if I decide to? Is it better to separate him in the coop or away from it (I'd give him a set up inside our shop 10 feet away from the coop).

Last edited:
How old is he and what breed? Sounds like he breeds a bit rough on them... I would give my hens a break but I would be sure he can still see them from his area as chickens do not do very well alone.

And be sure to keep those spurs and nails trimmed as they can really injure or kill a hen if he is rough with her.

He actually isn't rough with them, he just mates throughout the day when they are kept in the run and there are only seven hens right now. that and he is so big that he has to have something to hold onto to stay on so he ends up ripping out feathers. He doesn't really have spurs to trim either, otherwise I'd just unsheath them.

Would the girls be better off with him separated for a bit?

That's good. I'd just keep the girls saddled. With age his hormones will usually lesson and he won't be so hot to trot. ;)

I have made soup and dog food out of Roosters untill I get a good one. Current Roo is attractive, large, crows not to much, and seems to buy the girls lunch first. Loud, agressive, oversexed, plain looking Roos become stew. This year 3 went to the freezer till I got a winner.

I have made soup and dog food out of Roosters untill I get a good one.  Current Roo is attractive, large, crows not to much, and seems to buy the girls lunch first. Loud, agressive, oversexed, plain looking Roos become stew. This year 3 went to the freezer till I got a winner.

I'm quite picky myself also and look for the same qualities.. I often have a hard time keeping any punky horny cockerels even if they are in a "phase". I prefer to raise young cockerels with an older rooster so they learn to keep their hormones in check. ;).

Not really answering my question...

The rooster is not aggressive at all, humans or animals, and is already fully mature at almost 2 years old. I got him at a year old and he is isn't overly horny, but the day-to-day mating is causing feather loss. He really is the perfect rooster. The hens have saddles already and their skin never looked raw.

Does anyone give their hens a break from their rooster?

Not really answering my question...

The rooster is not aggressive at all, humans or animals, and is already fully mature at almost 2 years old. I got him at a year old and he is isn't overly horny, but the day-to-day mating is causing feather loss. He really is the perfect rooster. The hens have saddles already and their skin never looked raw.

Does anyone give their hens a break from their rooster?
I know exactly what you mean. I have a lot of roosters, and if a rooster is mating them when they don't want to be mated - it's time for a break. Normally molting hens do not want to be mated, and a polite rooster will not push it. If he is not pushing it, let him stay with his ladies. If he is, give them a break.

Sounds like you have a gentleman. He should be fine to keep with his ladies, and would probably be pretty miserable if you separated them without any bachelor buddies.

Back
Top Bottom