Do hens need a rooster to get them motivated?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Paige'sChickens, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Paige'sChickens

Paige'sChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    This may be a real question but my hens are not laying and a friend of my mother's said when her hens are not laying she take them to her dad's farm to "visit" his rooster.

She says it works everytime. Are my hens just "horn**y" and is there any truth to that??? I can't have roosters in town but would be interested to see if there is any truth to this...she loads them in her car and drives them 50+ miles to the beach to "visit" the rooster.??????

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    No. Many people have hens that never see a rooster and they do fine but if that makes her happy...what's the harm?

3. Paige'sChickens

Paige'sChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    That's very good...thank you.....LOL

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Maybe her hens just want to go to the beach?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sometimes a trip to the movies ---------

6. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Or a concert?
    [​IMG]

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    To be clear, they do not need a rooster to get them motivated. They will lay whenever they will lay, with or without a rooster.

The risk to taking them for a visit with a rooster is that you can introduce them to diseases or parasites. I would not do it.

Of course, there is no harm in dumping some sand in their run and creating a beach, but I think there is a good case for having them vacation at home.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

I take mine for a drive in the car to 'motivate' them [​IMG]

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You guys are gonna laugh at me, but I`ve got a different slant on the subject. Not once or twice in my illustrious chicken raising life, but maybe 3 times, I`ve had hens that just stopped laying, presumably out of boredom. Not broody, not molting, and not in the fall, just for no reason at all. After feeding these freeloaders for a few months, it occurred to me that boredom could be the reason. Sooo, I put a nice handsome cock in with them. He musta spiced up their lives, because usually within 2 weeks, some of them started laying and then all of them. Now, go ahead and laugh, just relating my real life experiences. I know they lay just fine without a rooster, nearly all the time, but this really happened. Coincidence? Maybe.........Pop

10. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    I love the freeloader comment from "Pop"....

I got a rooster and mine started laying more but I think it was just a coinsidence. My rooster definately entertains them...and me too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by