Do hens skip days laying eggs when they first start laying?

Holly R

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
I have seventeen 19 week old girls. Got the first 2 eggs in the same box (have 6) Thursday morning, then another in the same box
that afternoon. These eggs were all about the same size and seemed big for pullet eggs....at least from what I have read. I'm a
rookie. Anyway, I then caught one of the red sex links in the same box and she laid a small pullet egg which is what I was expecting and then I saw her again this morning and she laid another egg but slightly larger. Now, there have been no other eggs the size
of the first 3. I think I know which hen might of laid the others if it was only her (she's a barred rock) and maybe one of her barred
rock sister friends as only 2 of the 5 even seem mature enough to be laying. I keep thinking her behind is bulging and I picked her up
and it feels a little hard, not really squishy. Since I have no idea what an egg bound hen feels like it makes it hard. I picked up another
girl and didn't feel anything like the BR. Do they have intervals of laying when they first start out? They all seem to be eating, drinking,
scratching etc....acting normal, including her. We are so hot here, I'm in Oklahoma and they pant but have fans and wading pans and
frozen water bottles etc...They are on layer feed and I give them veggies, oyster shell and they get let out the last couple of hours of
the day to free range most days. Think I need to warm bathe her to see if it helps get that egg out? The other egg shells are well
formed and were harder to crack than store bought so i figured they were getting the calcium needed. Love this site and thank you
all for helping me already without you even knowing it!!

Thank you for your response! I can chill out a little now. I also just realized I posted this question in the wrong forum!

Back
Top Bottom