Do I adjust temp after I add water

clinkennuts

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
When I increase the humidity (add water) the temp drops. I am using warm/hot water. Is it important to maintain a constant temp after water is added thru out the hatch. I am especially concerned about day18 thru 21. I don't think I should be adjusting the heat thru the hatch. Is the drop in temp OK or should I be worried.

I have a LG still air.

thanks,

NO, i wouldnt adjust the temp until its been closed up for several hours and has time to do its own adjusting. be real careful on adjusting the temp, i try not to unless its been 6 or 8 hours over or under. seems like everytime i adjust, i end up reversing the adjustment back to where it was.

You have to remember, when you open the incubator, it's releasing heat and humidity, so you don't want to leave it open long. As mentioned, it takes awhile for the incubator to get back to it's set temp. The less you open, the better the hatch rate. That is why we like auto turners and having the capability to add water without opening the lid.
Good Luck
HappyHatch'en
BYC is the where we all start the "rat race" being an egg!

Quote:
I agree. It's good that the water is warm but the air outside is still cooler. That is cooling it off not the water. Don't make any adjustments unless it stays cool. This is also why you don't open it between day 18-21. It lets the warm, humid air out and the cool dry air in. Good luck.

Consider natural hatching. The hen will periodically leave the nest to eat & defacate. During this time obviously the eggs cool & the humidity drops. Works for hens & it will work for you.

Quote:
I do not subscribe to this theory, as often as I see it..

the main thing between a hen and a bator, the bator is warming up a lot of air which in turn has to heat up the eggs.. it also has to evaporate the water to make humidity..

when the hen climbs back into the nest, the eggs once again are in direct contact with heat and humidity immediately...

in my opinion.........

Quote:
I agree. It's good that the water is warm but the air outside is still cooler. That is cooling it off not the water. Don't make any adjustments unless it stays cool. This is also why you don't open it between day 18-21. It lets the warm, humid air out and the cool dry air in. Good luck.

I didn't open the lid. When I added water I opened one of the red vent plugs and stuck a straw in the vent. Then I used a large syring to shoot the water in. So I would think the temp would not be affected by removing one of the vent plugs.

Do not touch the temp unless your incubator has failed to hold temp over a long period. I adjust temp after mine cycles off and on 2 or 3 times at the same temp. The heater will shut off after running so long before coming on again just as a safety measure even if it's not to temp yet. You have to wait until shuts off at the same temp a couple times before you know it won't go up any. If you adjust it without making sure then you run a very high risk of it going over the desired temp and that will kill eggs far quicker than a low temp. Eggs will still incubate and often hatch down to 96F but they will start dying after awhile at 103 or higher. I just aim for 98-102 and I don't lose any eggs. They might be a little early or late but they don't die.

Back
Top Bottom