1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I clip wings? And if so, when?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hatrick, May 13, 2009.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    So we don't have a top on our brooder because at this point they're only a week old and besides the occasional run and flap, there is no flying to speak of.
    Should I be clipping wings at some point or not? I used to do it all the time when I had a parrot.
    Once I let them outside are they going to fly away?

2. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

What kind of chicks do you have? If you have birds that will be heavy (ie Australorps or rhode island reds) then you shouldn't need to but if you have light (ie leghorns and such) breeds then you will probably need to.

3. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Barred Rocks, but won't they be able to fly at a younger age? Maybe not when they're full grown but...

Silly goobers are rolling in the pine shavings and then pecking it off of each other right now. Sorry, had to share. [​IMG]

4. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    I have a week old Barred Rock and this morning when I opened the top off the Rubbermaid container she was looking around and I knew she'd attempt something and suddenly she "flew" on top of the feeder (which is a about 2 inches lower than the brim of the Rubbermaid). I'm wondering when it's ok to clip wings as well...

5. sahminaz

sahminaz Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Wondering the same thing. Two 2.5 wk old chicks flew to the top of the rubbermaid bin today. They first flew onto the feeder to get higher.

6. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
  7. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Quote:I really, REALLY wouldn't worry about this. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by