Do I Cull or Treat This Frostbite?

I thought I had enough ventilation, but now I believe I don't. They all prefer to roost outside if it's above 35F, so I have always left my coop door propped open at night until we had this cold spell. Closed it up for night and all my single comb chickens got some frostbite, although nothing like poor Oscar got. I am preparing a new, larger built coop this spring and will be adding quite a bit more ventilation to it. For now I'm just cutting out the great stuff foam I had sealing 80% of the gap between the roof and sides.

I think you'll find that opening your coop up a lot will help. If you can notice any humidity, it's too closed up. As long as they have a draft free place to roost, the more ventilation, the better.

If you are going to build a new coop, I can't recommend the Woods Fresh Air coop strongly enough. I'll never have another style coop again, I love it that much. I'm already planning my next one. My only debate is whether to build another 8'x16' (or maybe 10'x16') one, or go all the way to the 20'x20' version.

If you add more chickens, breeds with tiny combs are a great idea in our temps too.

@paiger9801 , the information I've seen is that if a bird with severe frostbite is left outside and exposed to more freezing cold, it will cause further frostbite injury. I recently wrote an article about frostbite, which should help answer your questions and give you guidance. As others have said, your rooster will recover and be ok, even though his comb is currently very painful. A baby aspirin given daily and aloe vera gel applied very gently to his comb will both help with pain relief until the damaged part of his comb becomes necrotic and falls away. (Do not apply the aloe vera if he will be exposed to freezing temperatures.)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/

Good article y'all. I'm dealing with frostbite in my rhode island roo. Mainly because my beta EE decided he wanted to be alpha and pecked my alphas comb pretty bloody. I got home after my hubby one night so didn't see it and hubby locked everyone up. It was like 1 degree so the blood and damage combined with cold gave him frostbite. It was a surprise when I let them out in the morning. Mr. EE is in bully camp..till I decide what to do.

@paiger9801 , the information I've seen is that if a bird with severe frostbite is left outside and exposed to more freezing cold, it will cause further frostbite injury. I recently wrote an article about frostbite, which should help answer your questions and give you guidance. As others have said, your rooster will recover and be ok, even though his comb is currently very painful. A baby aspirin given daily and aloe vera gel applied very gently to his comb will both help with pain relief until the damaged part of his comb becomes necrotic and falls away. (Do not apply the aloe vera if he will be exposed to freezing temperatures.)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/
We fortunately are having unusually warm Temps for the next week-in the high 30s and 40s! So he will have a small reprieve from the freezing cold at least. I will try the baby aspirin!

I use petroleum jelly when I know Temps will be low to protect their waddles and combs. Insuring your coop has enough ventilation is very important too!

How is your rooster? Did he end up losing his comb?
He is doing just fine! It looked really awful for about a week, then turned black and fell off several weeks later. Healed up surprisingly nice! But he has absolutely zero comb anymore. Thank goodness he recovered from it though, Oscar is my favorite 😍 although the experience has finally pushed me to actually spend some money and Ive started building a new coop with MUCH better ventilation!

He is doing just fine! It looked really awful for about a week, then turned black and fell off several weeks later. Healed up surprisingly nice! But he has absolutely zero comb anymore. Thank goodness he recovered from it though, Oscar is my favorite 😍 although the experience has finally pushed me to actually spend some money and Ive started building a new coop with MUCH better ventilation!
That is great news! We are in SC and my hens come in the house anytime the temps dip below 40, so I cannot even imagine what you are dealing with in Wisconsin. Although, I imagine you probably think our summers with evening temps in the 80's and 95% humidity are crazy! I confess, my chickens come in the house then, too :D

That is great news! We are in SC and my hens come in the house anytime the temps dip below 40, so I cannot even imagine what you are dealing with in Wisconsin. Although, I imagine you probably think our summers with evening temps in the 80's and 95% humidity are crazy! I confess, my chickens come in the house then, too :D
I lived outside of San Antonio before living here......anything below 70 and I was wearing a winter coat 😄😄 now it feels wonderful to hit 40 degrees in February! Winter is brutal with outdoor pets

Back
Top Bottom