HELP How do I treat this frostbite!

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
Hello Peeps! I live in north Texas and we got a massive cold snap with temps in the teens ans wind chills below freezing. I did everything I could to put up tarps and block winds. The coop is dry and has no drafts but my precious Hei Hei got frostbite! How can I help treat this and prevent further damage? Does he need pain meds? I have been giving poultry cell in water for the stress and I have veterycin and silver honey spray and various other items in my med kit. All my girls are ok but do have very pale almost whitish combs. I have a shop that is heated that I can move one or two into if needed. Here are some pics. I just noticed it today but I’m sure it’s been there longer. He is not much for being around humans so he runs and hides when I go out to check on them. Tagging some of my super helpful peeps. @Wyorp Rock @aart @rosemarythyme @Eggcessive

Attachments

• IMG_4096.jpeg
    IMG_4096.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4094.jpeg
    IMG_4094.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4093.jpeg
    IMG_4093.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4089.jpeg
    IMG_4089.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 3
Hello Peeps! I live in north Texas and we got a massive cold snap with temps in the teens ans wind chills below freezing. I did everything I could to put up tarps and block winds. The coop is dry and has no drafts but my precious Hei Hei got frostbite! How can I help treat this and prevent further damage? Does he need pain meds? I have been giving poultry cell in water for the stress and I have veterycin and silver honey spray and various other items in my med kit. All my girls are ok but do have very pale almost whitish combs. I have a shop that is heated that I can move one or two into if needed. Here are some pics. I just noticed it today but I’m sure it’s been there longer. He is not much for being around humans so he runs and hides when I go out to check on them. Tagging some of my super helpful peeps. @Wyorp Rock @aart @rosemarythyme @Eggcessive
Best to not mess with it, usually messing with it will make it worse.

His case is very mild.

I would stop spraying anything on it, since sprays, ointment, and creams may freeze more. He will be fine in a few days, and does not need pain medicine. It will take awhile to see the extent of damage to the comb, but it is hard to prevent in zero temperatures. Having some overhead ventilation for moisture to escape, and keep the coop dry is best. Prevent direct drafts on him. If possible temporarily move them to a slightly warmer spot in a garage or basement. Here is another thread about frostbite where I posted in post 3 and 5:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/frostbit-comb.1609110/

I would stop spraying anything on it, since sprays, ointment, and creams may freeze more. He will be fine in a few days, and does not need pain medicine. It will take awhile to see the extent of damage to the comb, but it is hard to prevent in zero temperatures. Having some overhead ventilation for moisture to escape, and keep the coop dry is best. Prevent direct drafts on him. If possible temporarily move them to a slightly warmer spot in a garage or basement. Here is another thread about frostbite where I posted in post 3 and 5:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/frostbit-comb.1609110/
I haven’t put anything on it yet. We worked on ventilation this summer and it’s pretty draft free but they come out of the coop in the mornings and the entire run is not blocked from wind, just the north and west side. I can put him in the shop at night where it is temperature controlled and back with the flock in the day time as it’s going to be warmer this week during day but freezing at night. Does it look like a bad case?

Could get to looking worse.
Do nothing to it.
Might keep them inside until temps get up higher....or at least until winds die down.
Thanks! I don’t have the set up to move them all inside but he will be in the shop tonight and every night that is below freezing! I’ll work on more kennel space in the shop!

Back
Top Bottom