Do I get injured guinea a friend, and if so, what breed?

AppyChick77

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2020
Hi All, I have a guinea hen that has broken her leg. Vet has her on cage rest for 4 weeks at least. I have her in the house in a crate where she is to stay as quiet and still as I can keep her. Vet said not to put her out in the coop in a cage for at least 3 weeks because she may try to move too much to see her friends run around the large space. I read that the flock might reject her if she recovers and has a limp. So, that being said, I am thinking about getting her an older chick / young pullet friend to live in a crate next to her and then that will give her a buddy when they go back out with the flock. Does that seem like a sound idea? She calls during the day if she hears the flock making noise and it makes me so sad for her. I have been pulling in one of the chickens at night to sleep next to her (which makes her so happy), but don't want to keep a full grown healthy chicken confined in a crate for a month.

If I were to get her a chicken friend, what breed would be recommended. Going for quiet/docile/good for free ranging/large enough as an adult that its not going to have a cat trying to snag it as a treat when free ranging. Currently have black asians and a cochin that range with the guineas. First time bird owner here, so I don't know too much about the different breeds. I read good things about silkies but am afraid they would be easy pickens due to how small they are.

Photo of Brave the guinea hen
DSCN9413.JPG

R2elk

Magical, perfect creature
Premium Feather Member
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
Hi All, I have a guinea hen that has broken her leg. Vet has her on cage rest for 4 weeks at least. I have her in the house in a crate where she is to stay as quiet and still as I can keep her. Vet said not to put her out in the coop in a cage for at least 3 weeks because she may try to move too much to see her friends run around the large space. I read that the flock might reject her if she recovers and has a limp. So, that being said, I am thinking about getting her an older chick / young pullet friend to live in a crate next to her and then that will give her a buddy when they go back out with the flock. Does that seem like a sound idea? She calls during the day if she hears the flock making noise and it makes me so sad for her. I have been pulling in one of the chickens at night to sleep next to her (which makes her so happy), but don't want to keep a full grown healthy chicken confined in a crate for a month.

If I were to get her a chicken friend, what breed would be recommended. Going for quiet/docile/good for free ranging/large enough as an adult that its not going to have a cat trying to snag it as a treat when free ranging. Currently have black asians and a cochin that range with the guineas. First time bird owner here, so I don't know too much about the different breeds. I read good things about silkies but am afraid they would be easy pickens due to how small they are.

Photo of Brave the guinea hen
View attachment 2340575
Only guineas understand other guineas.

Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA

Guineas have entirely different habits than any other kind of poultry. They are a flock bird and do best in large groups. I never recommend having fewer than 10 guineas.

I recommend that once the guinea is healed that you rehome it to a place where it can be with other guineas.

AppyChick77

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2020
Only guineas understand other guineas.

I recommend that once the guinea is healed that you rehome it to a place where it can be with other guineas.
As my post says, I have other guineas. And they saw her not walking right and were being very aggressive with her, even her partner guinea friend was pecking her in the head. 🙄 . The chickens, which were raised with the guineas, are the only ones who are being nice to her. The guineas and the chickens are actually good buddies and all range/coop together with no fighting. I don't trust another guinea to be nice with her in this state, even a young one.

esme13

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
As my post says, I have other guineas. And they saw her not walking right and were being very aggressive with her, even her partner guinea friend was pecking her in the head. 🙄 . The chickens, which were raised with the guineas, are the only ones who are being nice to her. The guineas and the chickens are actually good buddies and all range/coop together with no fighting. I don't trust another guinea to be nice with her in this state, even a young one.
I would keep her on her own for the time that your vet recommended. Another hen or guinea could challenge her and cause further delay in the healing or even stress her. In 4 weeks see how the flock does with her reintroduction :)

Top Bottom