Do I have a brooder full of roosters?!

chickenkerri

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
Western North Carolina
I hatched fourteen chicks that range from 4-7 weeks old. This is only my third time raising chicks but this is the most aggressive bunch I've seen yet. They're constantly jumping and pecking at each other, and yes, they have plenty of room. They're a mix of BCM's, Silkies, and Buff Orphs. Could I have a bunch of roosters on my hands?
he.gif

Silkies are too dainty for BCM's and Orpingtons. They are small and frail. The age difference is too big. My guess is they just can't work out a pecking order that suits them. It's time to do some seperating.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree and also, being a bunch of buttheads doesn't mean you have all roos. Behavior isn't a good indicator of sex.

Thanks for your responses. Interestingly, the Silkies seem to be staying out of it. Most of the aggression seems to be from the BCM's. They're especially aggressive to each other. And then there's one particular Buff Orph getting into the action. I am using the red light in the brooder and Blue Kote for the ones already pecked upon.

My group now is my second most aggressive one I have had.(Mostly barred rocks, speckled sussex, leghorn crosses)
There are 10 of them and I sure HOPE they arent mostly roos!!!
hmm.png

I have a brooder full at the moment, and the most agressive chicks are the feed store sexed pullets (brown sex links and EE's)!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom