Do I have a buff orp rooster or hen ?

My Orpies usually lay a large to XL size egg. Do you have any Leghorns in your flock? All of my Leghorns lay 90g + eggs, a few are on the cusp of laying 100+! That's Colossal or King sized as they say Down Under! :thumbsup
I have 1 white leghorn pullet that is taking her good sweet time before laying. And I don’t weigh my eggs...although I should, I’ve been thinking about it. (Both for the super huge numbers and the super tiny)

Look at the saddle feathers, the Cape, the hackle feathers. If that doesn't convince you he's a boy, look at his face. I'm not talking about combs and wattles either, but the underlying face structure. Just like you can look a horse in the face and tell a boy from a girl (though not all geldings), you can do the same with most chickens. Boys usually have a fatter, bigger skull, wider between the eyes, jaw wider in relation to eye distance than a girl. There are a few other things about chicken faces that will tell the sex usually but I don't know the words to describe the features.
Just like A.I. computers can look at someone's retina and tell the sex of people with 99%accuracy, yet can't tell a programmer how the A.I. comes to such conclusions, sometimes you can just tell by looking at a chickens face.

Even though it's a boy, I would wait until the first crow before getting rid of it. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong at guessing chicken sex. :gig
That’s not always true about the face. Look at my Buff Orpington pictured here at about 6 months old. She is a huge creature with big thick legs a large comb that flops over like a beret and huge hanging wattles. I wanted a pretty and feminine looking Buff Orpington like I had seen in photos. Oh well, lol! She lays huge eggs!

Attachments

• BCFF8225-2F6C-4DF8-A670-91911E5924D0.jpeg
    BCFF8225-2F6C-4DF8-A670-91911E5924D0.jpeg
    635.1 KB · Views: 13
That’s not always true about the face. Look at my Buff Orpington pictured here at about 6 months old. She is a huge creature with big thick legs a large comb that flops over like a beret and huge hanging wattles. I wanted a pretty and feminine looking Buff Orpington like I had seen in photos. Oh well, lol! She lays huge eggs!
She is beautiful, and I imagine she has the sweet disposition of most BO's. I love her. :love

Comb and wattles aside, she has quite a feminine face. She doesn't have huge bulging brow ridges and her forehead slopes back unlike a rooster's forehead. She's a pretty girl.

LOL....she might look a little startled, or unhappy about her picture being taken, but yes, a beautiful BO. I have a BO who is a pistol, but she is awesome at the same time. Bites me all the time. :lau She's adorable. Biting me gains her a free ride in my arms for a bit when she attempts to assert herself in a constant growl, but I know it's because she wants me to pick her up.:lau

It’s interesting that you say that, my BO lays the largest eggs in my whole flock! And she’s a bit on the smaller side...she was sicklyish as a chick.
@BGcoop @nurturedgarden That's made me laugh, as I've only had one Orpington and she laid a medium sized egg - bigger than a bantam but nowhere near the size of my standard fowl. I thought that was what they all did because I know they're a dual purpose bird. Maybe it was just my Steroids then, wonderful, but a little less giving in the egg department! :lol: Thank you for sharing, at least I know better now.

My Orpies usually lay a large to XL size egg. Do you have any Leghorns in your flock? All of my Leghorns lay 90g + eggs, a few are on the cusp of laying 100+! That's Colossal or King sized as they say Down Under! :thumbsup
@EggWalrus I have had leghorn eggs from a friend I used to swap for quail eggs. As you say, they were colossal, or humongous as I like to put it! Great for baking. The family love to eat bantam eggs best. A good sized yolk for the size of the egg and less white in proportion.

Back
Top Bottom